How many Mormons actually compare the bible to their beliefs?

After watching the movie September Dawn about the Mountain Meadows Massacre, I began to research the roots of Mormonism. I was amazed at how much Mormon doctrine is inconsistent with the bibles teachings and how just because Joseph Smith said an angel told him all this stuff people just jumped on his bandwagon.

He states the Angel Moroni revealed these "truths" but on several other accounts he changed the name to Nephi. In any case the bible warns not to accept future additions to scripture.

Gal 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

2Cr 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

Exactly, it "Adds" to the Bible. No one has authority to do that. you can't just add and claim an angel said to do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Moroni

• Isolde
    Favorite Answer

I constantly use the Bible and search church doctrine using it.

If you read just a few more verses in Galatians you might come to understand how similar Paul and Joseph Smith were.

Galations 1:10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.

11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

You might also learn that the Bible says further scripture will come forth in the latter days and it will be brought by angel.

Rev. 10: 9-10 And I went unto the angel, and said unto him, Give me the little book. And he said unto me, Take it, and eat it up; and it shall make thy belly bitter, but it shall be in thy mouth sweet as honey.

10 And I took the little book out of the angel’s hand, and ate it up; and it was in my mouth sweet as honey: and as soon as I had eaten it, my belly was bitter.

It doesn't. People that attempt to use Galatians 1:8-9 are foolish. Revelation 14:6 is clear that an angel would bring the everlasting gospel to the world to be preached to all nations. Moroni, an angel, described the contents of the Golden Plates as the everlasting gospel of Jesus Christ. The plates were translated into the Book of Mormon and is now preached to all the world. @"The Bible records in Mark 15:33 that at Jesus’ crucifixion there was darkness for 3 hours. The Book of Mormon has darkness for 3 days (3 Nephi 8:20-23)" That's not a contradiction. 3 Nephi does tell of 3 hours just like Mark does. Reread what's said. During the 3 days of darkness no light could be seen. If you read what 3 Nephi says you see that ashes are in the air. That's due to volcanoes. Look up a volcanic map of the Americas and look at how many volcanoes are in Central America close to each other. The 3 days of darkness are the result of the volcanoes erupting for those 3 straight hours of darkness. The ashes and soot from volcanoes stay in the air for a good while. @"The Bible affirms that the "disciples were called Christians first in Antioch" (Acts 11:26). The Book of Mormon misses that by several thousand miles and nearly 100 years in having believers in Christ called Christians in 73 B.C. (Alma 46:15)." Not a contradiction. Those in the New World (ancient Americas) knew of Jesus' name way before those in the Old World did. In 2 Nephi we learn Jacob received a vision from an angel on the name of Christ. That's how they knew what to be called.

There are many different valid interpretations of the Bible. While Mormon beliefs may not match up to your interpretation of the Bible, from a Mormon perspective Mormon teachings are very much in harmony with the Bible.

Many mistakenly cite Galatians 1:8 as proof that the Mormon Church is false. That verse states: "But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed." Because the early history of the Mormon Church includes accounts of angelic visitations, many believe this scripture applies to Mormonism.

In reality, this scripture is warning the earliest Christians about false teachers who would mix false man-made doctrines with the divine doctrines Christ introduced to the world. Many other scriptures foretold this impending apostasy, including Matthew 24:4-12, Matthew 24:9-11, 2 Timothy 3:12-13, Acts 20:29-31, 2 Timothy 4:3-4, 2 Thessalonians 2:3, Galatians 1:6, etc, etc. Because the early Christian Church apostated from Christ's original teachings, Mormonism is actually a restoration of the SAME gospel (not "any other gospel") that was had by the earliest Christians.

In fact, another prophetic scripture states that in the last days an angel would visit the earth to help restore the original Christian church. According to Revelation 14:6-7: "And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters."

You also alluded to a scripture in Revelations. Many mistakenly think Rev. 22:18-19 proves the Book of Mormon is false. That scripture states, "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

When it was originally written, the Bible did not exist as one single book, but rather was a collection of books. The scripture at the end of the book of Revelation, which suggests that nothing should be added, is only referring to that book (the book of Revelation), not the entire Bible. The Bible did not even exist as a single book until centuries after Christ's death. In fact, most scholars agree that Revelation was not even the last book in the Bible to be written. Should we throw out the other books in the New Testament that were written after Revelation, then?

Additionally, there is a scripture in Deuteronomy (12:32) which also says nothing should be added. Using this same logic, we should throw out the entire New Testament and much of the Old! Of course such a Biblical interpretation is not valid.

By the way, just for your information the movie September Dawn is not exactly accurate either.

So tell me which part of the bible you people do not follow?

2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

(Old Testament | Deuteronomy 4:2)

By the above scriptures, all other scriptures after Moses would be adding to his word.

You know full well the Bible did not even exist when John wrote that verse, and he meant for the Book of revelation Only.

4 And no man taketh this honour unto himself, but he that is called of God, as was Aaron.

(New Testament | Hebrews 5:4)

By the Above verse, where is your authority from God? When Constantine the Great made the church the religion of his realm, he certaily did not have the priesthood authority to do so. What ever come after certainly lacks the same authority.

7 Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

(Old Testament | Amos 3:7)

Where is your prophet that suppose to lead your people?

God never said he eliminated the need for prophets.

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

(New Testament | Ephesians 4:11 - 12)

Where is the Prophets and Apostles that suppose to administer to the church?

Yes, we LDS sure do compare the Book of Mormon with the Bible, but it seems, you do not follow what has been written in the Bible ,not us.

• Ender

No where in the Bible does it say that no one can add to the Bible. If you're quoting revelations, turn to Deuteronomy. Moses said the same thing.

Christians can't agree with other christians regarding the interpretations of the Bible. No surprise that you feel that the Book of Mormon contradicts YOUR interpretation of the Bible.

But what if an angel from heaven is teaching the SAME gospel that was taught before? That is what we claim.

Spiritual truths are discovered spiritually. Talk to God and ask him.

"I was amazed at how much Mormon doctrine is inconsistent with the bibles teachings"

You should keep researching. I have studied the Mormon faith for over 20 years and can match the teachings (Bible, Book of Mormon, modern prophets). Just as your scriptures quoted are in accordance with the teachings of Mormonism.

September Dawn got zero stars. Almost every critic said it was intentionally anti-Mormon, did not accurately reflect what Mormons really are like, and was just a crappy movie. Don't take the movie too seriously, please.

I too have researched Joseph Smith, and I've never heard any account of him changing the name to Nephi. Ever. In fact, many of the anti-Joseph Smith claims are completely unfounded and have no evidence to back them up other than opinion.

I'm a Mormon... our teachings are not inconsistent with the Bible. We can back up pretty much all of our beliefs with the Bible, in fact. The book of Mormon does not go against the Bible either. It just adds to biblical teachings.

Source(s): EDIT: Oh, heck. I didn't mean "add" as in we literally make up and add on our own beliefs. I mean "add" as in they just teach us what the Bible teaches us, too. For instance, the Bible teaches us about Christ's being born to a virgin. The Book of Mormon also teaches us about Christ's being born to a virgin. The stories aren't contradicting each other, but the book of Mormon "adds" to the story in the sense that it just gives us a more full understanding of the story. Make sense?

Actually, church wide, we study take 2 of every 4 years studying the Old & New Testaments.

Source(s): LDS

The read the Bible its true but they deny the deity of Christ Jesus, Mormons state what you believe we never really do hear! We hear what your elders would like us to believe, Do you or do you not believe in the trinity? Do you believe that you can become like Christ? This is a cult in most obvious way!

and do you follow all the laws of your book? Let he without sin...