What do you think of Shirley Phelps-Roper and the Westboro "Church"?

I was shocked and saddened coming across the podcast of Hot 99.5 in DC's interview regarding her group's newfound target in the death of Heath Ledger...especially when one pauses to consider that this hate-fueled, vitriol-spilling bigot of a woman decided to air her take on God's opinions just days after our nation celebrated a day of remembrance for one of our finest, Dr. Martin Luther King. A man who had every reason to hate (and yes, was a Christian- and a minister, as Ms. Roper also claims to be) and condemn an entire race for generations of hurt, shame, and bigotry chose instead to reach out to men and women of all races, creeds, and socioeconomic backgrounds to peacefully unite against ignorance, intolerance, and violence. I respect and support the first amendment which allows people like myself to air my views, and, unfortunately, people such as Phelps-Roper- but I stand firm in this assertion: whether you call yourself christian, buddhist, muslim, jew, or any other faith that c

beliefs centered around love, peace, a responsibility for one's actions, how is it that ignorance and intolerance are allowed to persist? I leave you with a few examples of teachings from faith texts around the world (hmm...notice any similarities???) about how to deal with ignorance...From the Koran:25.63: "And the servants of the Beneficent God are they who walk on the earth in humbleness, and when the ignorant address them, they say: Peace." From the Torah Maharal Ch 1: Mishna 12: part 2: "Be from among the students of Aharon; one who loves peace, one who pursues peace, one who loves others and brings them closer to Torah."

From the Bahagavad Gita, Ch14: "From the mode of goodness, real knowledge develops; from the mode of passion, greed develops; and from the mode of ignorance, foolishness, madness and illusion develop." And the Bible- Proverbs 11:12 "He that is void of wisdom despiseth his neighbor, but a man of understanding holdeth his peace.

• Mr Ed
    Favorite Answer

I'm glad you put "church" in quotation marks. There is no connection between what they do and the teachings of Jesus. But because they use words like "church", Christian", and "Baptist" i find them to be a terrible embarrassment. My only consolation is that they go so far in their hatred, for most people it is obvious that they are neither Christian, Baptist , or church.

I don't think much at all of the whole Roper clan. They basically think everyone other than them is condemned and they're hateful, awful bigots. They really should be arrested on an almost daily basis for hate crimes.

There's not much else to say. I heard the same podcast as you and if it weren't so hurtful, it'd almost be funny because she's obviously whacked out in the head.