Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

Who are these hundreds of thousands of new citizens? Who says illegals don't get free heath care?

About every six months the population of the U.S. increases about as much as the population of Tallahassee. Who are these hundreds of thousands of new citizens? They are newborns, children of illegal aliens born in the United States - birthright citizens, "anchor babies" - not illegal aliens. This quirky legal right then allows the mother's parents and siblings to remain, and later a whole bunch of their relatives to immigrate legally. This why they are also known as "Jackpot babies."

Just consider Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, the second busiest maternity ward in the U.S. In 2006, 70 percent of the women giving birth in Parkland were illegal immigrants. That added up to 11,200 babies for which Medicaid kicked in $34.5 million to deliver these babies, the feds another $9.5 million and Dallas taxpayers tossed in $31.3 million. The average illegal patient is 25 years old and giving birth to her second anchor baby. We could also talk about California, but you get the point.

By law, illegal immigrants cannot be denied medical care based on their inability to pay or their immigration status. These women also receive free prenatal care, medication, car seats, bottles, diapers and formula.

The U.S. and a few other countries offer citizenship to anyone born on their soil. The United Kingdom and Australia abandoned this practice in the 1980s after being abused by immigrants for many years.

Why do we allow this to continue? The 14{+t}{+h} Amendment to the U.S. Constitution reads:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the states wherein they reside...

It was added to our Constitution right after the Civil War as part of a package of reforms to prevent any more injustices to African Americans, such as states denying citizenship to native born blacks. The drafters of the "Citizenship clause" made it clear from their debate, that the clause "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" meant that the status of the parents of a child born within the territory of the U.S. determines whether of not that child is eligible for U.S. citizenship.

There have been surprisingly few Supreme Court opinions construing this clause - the results being a mixed bag of decisions. The lawyer in me wants to go into detail, but let me be mercifully brief: The latest case involved a terrorist who happened to be born in Louisiana, when his father, a native of Mecca, Saudi Arabia, was working as an engineer for Exxon. He returned to Saudi Arabia as an infant, took up with al Qaeda as an adult, was captured during a battle in Afghanistan and wound up imprisoned in Guantanamo Bay.

http://www2.hernandotoday.com/content/2008/jan/26/... is sad to watch our nation destroy itself right before our eyes.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

watch this video... zeigeitmovie.com

I completely agree with you. My mother were immigrants but came her with papers and i dont think its fair for people to come into this country illegally and abuse our economy. My mother had to wait in Colombia to get her papers: she waited about 3 1/2 years to come to this country. Also I dont think its right that I have to order a cheeseburger in spanish!! Living here in Miami aggravates me that i have to speak spanish to buy a car, watch a movie, go to the supermarket, etc. My mother had to learn english to get around. I also believe its a conspiracy that our government isn't enforcing learning the english language. I think they dont wants us to be able to communicate with each other in order to do whatever they do or tells they do.

• 1 decade ago

There was a time when the US was the nation that refugees of war, poverty, communism and civil rights came as a refuge. This was done in an orderly fashion. Ellis Island was a symbol of freedom from various types of oppression. Today, the US is a place where freedom apparently means doing what ever the h-e-l-l we want to. We don't enforce the laws that we work so hard to pass in Congress, in particular the ones relating to immigration.

I have a simple solution to the anchor baby problem. They should not be allowed under any condition for which they are born to a person without a valid US visa. There are certainly cases where people enter this country legally, and while awaiting a citizenship hearing, give birth. These people have cleared customs, and immigration, as well as having a background check. Welcome the USA, learn English, get a job, pay your taxes, don't commit any crimes, pass the exam and prosper.

It is absurd the length of time we have let this go on. In my state we have kids entering college, born to illegals! It is time to close the border, and take a head count of who is here and enforce the laws.

That is my opinion. You apparently have answered your own question.

• 4 years ago

Two weeks ago, my brother and his wife had a baby. When I went to visit them in the hospital, most of the patients in there were Mexicans. When the nurse came in, she said to go to the emergency room, where illegals were coming in by the dozens with the sniffles. Since they were illegal, they got a free visit and free medicine. Meanwhile, the illegals in the maternity ward, didn't have to pay for their hospital visit. They didn't have to pay for the epideryl, they didn't have to pay for anything, while my brother spent thousands. All of you who say that Mexicans don't get free health care need to take a closer look. Hospitals all over the country are going bankrupt and shutting down. Illegals are bad for this country. They are not good in any way, shape, or form.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That is illegal immigrants. Many immigrants come here for better job opportunities and end up making more money than you and some of your family. There are plenty of foreign doctors here. Haven't you noticed? Many immigrants come here the correct way and go for the American dream when some Americans are too darn lazy to reach the American dream. their American dream. LOL. Some Americans think that $50K is a wonderful salary to retire on when a lot of hardworking motivated educated immigrants come here as engineers, doctors, have PhDs and think $50K is a good starting salary but not rich to retire on. LOL. Then you have the stereotypical over achieving Asians. Some Americans think they're really made it big with a 4 year degree when some foreigners would think that's NOTHING. Many immigrants come here already having a PhD and if not must go to top ivy league schools while Americans think any college is wonderful. LOL. Think about it, u got the Mid West, the South...no winners there. LOL.

Yes illegal immigration is a problem, but no use complaining about it. doing something about it is best. You just talking about Mexicans.

Source(s): I'm a mother.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

So you say this and you say that, but the thing is your not doing nothing about it along with others that do the same thing. Stop and READ what you wrote, is it really doing any good to talk about it when your not trying to help make a better place for yourself and others in the future? Don't say its not your responsibility to do something about it, when you and thousands of others can stand up and do something. Come on do something instead of sitting on your a## and b%t$h about it everyday on here!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the states wherein they reside...

The key phrase here that is completely ignored is "subject to the jurisdiction thereof"

Today's unconstitutional interpretation is simply this:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States are citizens of the United States and of the states wherein they reside...

Now you can either assume that the author of the 14th amendments citizenship clause just wanted to add a meaningless phrase to his construction or you could ask what does that phrase mean?

Fortunately, in the debates of the 39th congress, we are told EXACTLY what that phrase means.

Senator Lyman Trumball explained it thus:

The provision is, that ‘all persons born in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens.’ That means ‘subject to the complete jurisdiction thereof.’ What do we mean by ‘complete jurisdiction thereof?’ Not owing allegiance to anybody else. That is what it means. Sen. Trumbull further added, “It cannot be said of any Indian who owes allegiance, partial allegiance if you please, to some other Government that he is ‘subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.’” Sen. Jacob Howard agreed:

[I] concur entirely with the honorable Senator from Illinois [Trumbull], in holding that the word "jurisdiction," as here employed, ought to be construed so as to imply a full and complete jurisdiction on the part of the United States, whether exercised by Congress, by the executive, or by the judicial department; that is to say, the same jurisdiction in extent and quality as applies to every citizen of the United States now.

The original intent of the 14th Amendment was clearly not to facilitate illegal aliens defying U.S. law at taxpayer expense. Current estimates indicate there may be over 300,000 anchor babies born each year in the U.S., thus causing illegal alien mothers to add more to the U.S. population each year than immigration from all sources in an average year before 1965.

The correct interpretation of the 14th Amendment is that an illegal alien mother is subject to the jurisdiction of her native country, as is her baby.

Over a century ago, the Supreme Court correctly confirmed this restricted interpretation of citizenship in the so-called 'Slaughter-House cases' [83 US 36 (1873)] and in [112 US 94 (1884)]. In Elk v.Wilkins, the phrase 'subject to its jurisdiction' excluded from its operation 'children of ministers, consuls, and citizens of foreign states born within the United States.' In Elk, the American Indian claimant was considered not an American citizen because the law required him to be 'not merely subject in some respect or degree to the jurisdiction of the United States, but completely subject to their political jurisdiction and owing them direct and immediate allegiance.'

Congress subsequently passed a special act to grant full citizenship to American Indians, who were not citizens even through they were born within the borders of the United States. The Citizens Act of 1924, codified in 8USCSß1401, provides that:

The following shall be nationals and citizens of the United States at birth:

(a) a person born in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof;

(b) a person born in the United States to a member of an Indian, Eskimo, Aleutian, or other aboriginal tribe.

American citizens must be wary of elected politicians voting to illegally extend our generous social benefits to illegal aliens and other criminals.

• 1 decade ago

I've posted so many times before how dangerous it is on MANY levels to not get out borders under control and get rid of any amnesty, not only are we presently FULL right now-Its darn right DANGEROUS! When did 2 wrongs make a right? Why should any child be considered American born unto 2 illegal parents? Where is the fairness in that?!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Is this the massive question and answer thread?

Illegals are pouring into the US because no-one knows how to stop them.

The only difference between parties is that one will welcome them, the other turn them away.

But the difference is irrelevant because they are here already and know how to play the system to their advantage (and your disadvantage). How its packaged and marketed to you by the politicians really makes no difference....

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This indicates how wide spread the abuse of our system is being hammered with

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.