How (not why) can Democrats still support the Clintons?

It is obvious that they will do and say anything to win. After reading Primary Colors, watching The War Room, observing their sickening attacks on Obama-a fellow Dem. throughout this process, and paying attention to this process for awhile, I have come to the conclusion that these two individuals are not concerned about our country, but about how to win and that is all. How can any Dem. want to go back to this diviseness? Bill Clinton is like a bad ex-boyfriend. He looks good with a few years of distance, but if you get back together with him, all the bad things that went along with the Clinton administration will come back. Furthermore, If Hillary is the nominee, the general election will be very tight. She does not have the support of the Independents. What are Dems. thinking? The 90s are over!!

Favorite Answer

Primary Colors was a great....Movie....I liked it very much & am a big fan of Emma Thompson....

Now....aside from a fictional, "based on" account....

It is a shame that Bill's indescretion w/ Lewinsky, et al is all that people seem to remember about his Presidency. You forget that for the first time in years, our country was paying off it's debt and there was a surplus of money in the budget. The US was a respected leader in the world. Small businesses thrived, education was valued and there was a renewed interest, on the part of young people, in going forward and improving their lives and the community.

We now have the failed No Child Left Behind educational policy w/ teachers being forced to teach to test requirements and not the individucal child's needs. As a country, we have lost the respect of most of the world. We have a Pres. who can not speak properly AND a lot of middle class families who are one healthcare crisis away from bancrupcy and that's WITH "INSURANCE"!

Hillary has been working, in particular, on educational, healthcare issues and women's issues all of her life - in many cases - pro bono. (I have printed a short list below.) Do you think that the "attacks" against Hillary are not from the Obama campaign and perhaps some from Republicans who would love Obama to win? If you really believe that both candidates campaigns are not slinging the mud, then you are truly naive.

Hillary does have the support of Independents and she, more than Obama has the strength and experience to face a Republican candidate. Obama may grow to be a good candidate in another 4 to 8 years, but he is not there yet....he has stepping stoned his way to his current position & was lucky to have had the opportunity to make a great speach at the last Dem. Convention....but he needs to be present and actually vote in the Senate....he needs to declare and stick by his positions....

Hillary has been active in a number of organizations concerned with the welfare of children after law school ---often worked for FREE and was the first female partner at Rose Law Firm in 1979 and was listed as one of the one hundred most influential lawyers in America in 1988 and 1991. Hillary advised the Children's Defense Fund in Cambridge and joined the impeachment inquiry staff advising the Judiciary Committee of the House of Representatives.

President Jimmy Carter appointed her to the board of the Legal Services Corporation She chaired the Arkansas Educational Standards Committee, co-founded the Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families, and served on the boards of the Arkansas Children's Hospital, Legal Services, and the Children's Defense Fund.

Organizations:

Co-Founder, Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families

Board Member, Arkansas Children's Hospital

Board Member, Children's Defense Fund

Awards

-Humanitarian Award, Elie Wiesel Foundation

-Women Who Make A Difference Lifetime Achievement Award, Family Circle

-President's Award, League of United Latin American Citizens

-International Women's Philanthropy Award, Lion of Judah Conference of Combined Jewish Philanthropies

-Distinguished Bridge Builder Award, Leon H. Sullivan Foundation

-Recognition, Military Order of the Purple Heart

-Distinguished Service Award, National Association of Elementary School Principals

-Bully Pulpit Award, National Council for Adoption

-Black Women of Courage Award, National Federation of Black Women Business Owners

-Martin Luther King Jr. Award, Progressive National Baptist Convention

- Secretary of Defense Medal for Outstanding Public Service

-Woman of Steel - Role Model of the Year, United Steel Workers of America

-Arkansas Woman of the Year-1983

-Arkansas Mother of the Year-1984

Hillary won many admirers for her staunch support for women around the world and her commitment to children's issues.

• Mir

I see that you are an Obama supporter, as is your right. I on the other hand have a problem with his racist affiliations , his senate voting record(or lack thereof), not to mention the fact that he was raised outside of the US.( I could say more but won't.)

As for the Clintons, I don't actually support Hillary. It's unfortunate that in my state a person must vote for a candidate from their chosen party in the primaries. I don't have alot of choices, so it's either Hillary or Edwards. I will try to vote for the lesser of the two evils.

Anyone, and I repeat anyone, who votes for a republican for the white house this election needs a brain transplant.

Look at the last eight years. During the Republican Administration, we have been attacked on our own soil, even after the different groups "tried" to warn the powers that be in the white house. But they were too busy taking more vacation than history during the first days of office. Then when we were attacked, guess what? It was the Clinton's fault. That seems like a dumb conclusion to me. "Deer in the headlights" mean anything to any of you?

We did not have a deficit when Clinton was in power.

We were not attacked while he was in power.

He actually spent a lot of time in the oval office doing work for the American People.

(and before any of you smarta**** comment on he and Monica, that was between him and Hillary, not him and the country)

For God in Heaven's sake, do NOT vote Republican this year.

We cannot afford another four years, let alone eight of Republican "leadership".

HILLARY IN 08 !!!!

The GOP candidates are all loving how the Bill and Hill Show are making fools of themselves. They know McCain or Rudy or Romney would make mince meat out of Hillary. It would be so much fun to watch Bill's face getting all red and puffy if one of those candidates went after his wife... but I still hope Obama eats her lunch on Super Tuesday.

How can they not? She is the best candidate out of the three. You might not like the Clintons, but this is not a popularity contest, or at least it shouldn't be. This is about the best person for this country.

Obama looks good on paper, but the moment you start looking closer into his background, affiliations, record, or his plans for this country, it becomes very clear that he is not a good choice for this country at this time.

I heard him on the radio the other day and he was saying how he was going to make education his priority by making parents responsible and making students work harder. He would that by going and speaking to students that are failing. He is going to be a very busy man if that is his strategy on how to improve our failing education.

Let's hope people are going to vote according to knowledge of the candidates and their records, rather than according to likes/dislikes of a candidate. This country cannot afford another personable president who has little experience or common sense.

• A.R.

The media have chosen our candidates for us. George Step-and-drop-on-us is a jerk. Kill your television. Ignore the president no matter who is elected and concentrate on your local elected. The executive branch if the federal government has been tainted for a couple of generations and is the domain of thieves.

The Clintons' recent behavior has caused me to lose a lot of respect for them. Hillary's loss in Iowa really brought out the "true colors" of their personalities. Obama is my first choice, however I still believe Hillary is a better choice than anything the republicans have to offer this time.

Democrats are clearly not thinking straight.

Hillary (and Bill) used the race card and appealed to a racist America. Small- minded Americans fell for this divisive tactic hook, line and sinker.

Hillary will ensure the White House will go back to the Republicans. That's why they want Hillary to win the nomination.

And I'll be one of those helping the Republicans to win the White House because even I will vote Republican for the first time in my life should she get the Democratic nomination nod.

I've seen Hillary's (and Bill's) contents of their characters. And I don't like what I see.

I'm disgusted by them both.

• T E

Nearly two-thirds of Democrats and nearly half of all voters say Hillary Clinton's famously unsuccessful effort in the 1990s to provide health coverage for all Americans makes her better able now to deal with healthcare as president. More than 7 in 10 Democrats, and about half of all voters, said they would welcome a White House advisory role for Bill Clinton.

At the same time, the former first lady has a favorable rating of 48% by Dem voters, while Giuliani is is favored by only 32% of GOP voters.

ON THE OTHER HAND,

I mystified at why any reasonable, rational person could like Obama. He has no track record of doing anything at all. In his short stint in Senate, which only came about because Alan Keyes was his last-minute opponent, he's completely neglected his duties as a senator. He's flown around the world, on the taxpayers' dime, promoting his various books. After that, he's been campaigning across the country and skipping key votes. He's missed more votes than any candidate of either party in recent history. Behind this record of absenteeism in his only relevant job, is purely empty rhetoric. "We need someone who will unite the country." Good point, but what credentials does he have to do so, besides his generic rhetoric? Based upon the votes he has actually attended, he's one of the top 5 most liberal senators. How is an extremist a uniter? How will he bring together both sides when all factual indications show he disagrees with one side 97% of the time?

The facts must be separated from the rhetoric. He's only passed one bill in his whole time in office, and it was a relatively unimportant one about aid to Africa. He says he's bipartisan and a "change" from the way things are done in Washington, but his record points to book promotions, negative campaigning and empty rhetoric. He has no experience period, let alone executive experience.

What do Obama supporters see in him, rhetoric aside?

So, you didn't like the 90's, the balanced budget, peace, a federal surplus, protection of National Parks and property, gas for a buck and a half; I see your point.