To join a union or not join a union?

I work in a state hospital that is in real trouble. This facility might be in jeopardy of closing. The job is potentially dangerous and the state is making it more dangerous by changing the rules. I feel (and most of my coworkers) that we have been treated unfairly at one point or another in the past year alone. I've often wished that I had some contact that would actually do something when I complained. Suddenly, a state union has showed up. Should I join?

the facility itself is not threatening to close, the state is threatening to close it down if we don't pass inspections in feb.

Favorite Answer

Many people have suffered and died for the right to collectively bargain, it is a basic American right. Especially in the health care field where patients have rights and workers don't. I work in a hospital and see nurses cursed and spat on everyday, a couple have been stabbed, and all the administration does is cover it up. My department is unionized, but the nurses and techs are not, and yet with all the abuse they take, they don't join because they are more scared of the employer than the patients, it's a shame. Join the union, it makes all workers stronger and more responsible for their job, it gives you a feeling of being an important part of the process and brings people together for the common good. Best Of Luck.

In general, yes. Don't jst join up without checking the union out--like any other organization, it ccan be good or bad.

But unions exist--all the conservative rhetoric to the contrary--because of situations such as you describe.

Here's what I mean. In an ideal world, management would be fully responsive to the needs of employees they supervise. We do not live in an ideal world--and the reality is tha t management--informally or formally--is an organized group that works together to defend their own interests. And they have more power--as individuals--than rank-and-file employees. unions exist to balance that difference in power.With a union, if you are faced witha situation that needs action and nothing is done, you have a situation where you can file a complaint (in this context, called a greivance) and get action--and have your rights protected.

Keep in mind that there is a myth promoted by unethical businesses that unions are somehow "socialist" or that they are somehow "unAmerican." The truth is--management organizes. Workers have jsut as much right to organize so that they can make their voices heard. The anti-union rhetoric you will hear is nothing more than an effort to silence your right of free speech--a right protected by the Constitution. Stand up for yourself--and your rights.

Could give it a try. I have been in nonunion and union jobs and in my opinion the only time the union is necessary is when your company treats its employees bad. Since you work for the state chances are you get treated like crap and a union might help.

well if they were threatening to close before the union showed up, they most certainly will after everyone joins.

I guess if you want to get raises for doing nothing and be a lazy fatazz and not be able to get fired no matter how bad you f-up, then sure. If you want to be a respectable human being and American citizen, then no