Amber P asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

Sword fighting?

I am very interested in swords, and sword fighting. I want to lean to train my self but dont know how to go about it. I dont have a partner to learn with.,

I do not want to take fencing lessons. Any suggestions?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Mushin
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

You really do need a teacher to teach you. What about:

Iaido is the art of drawing and attacking with a sword. Iaidoka (and kendoka) wield a sword not to control their opponent, but to control themselves. Iaido is mostly performed solo as a series of kata, executing varied techniques against single or multiple imaginary opponents. Each kata begins and ends with the sword sheathed. In addition to sword technique, it requires imagination and concentration in order to maintain the feeling of a real fight and to keep the kata fresh. Iaidoka are often recommended to practise kendo to preserve that fighting feel; it is common for high ranking kendoka to hold high rank in iaido and vice versa.

In order to properly perform the kata, iaidoka also learn posture and movement, grip and swing. Sometimes iaidoka will practise partner kata similar to kendo or kenjutsu kata. Unlike kendo, iaido is never practised in a free-sparring manner.

Iaijutsu is the art of killing on the draw. Iaijutsu teaches how to draw quickly and in such a fashion as to negate an opponents attack with finality.

Seitei-gata iaido (that set of techniques recommended by the ZNKR) is like a moving meditation - the draw and cut are very deliberate, formalised and beautiful. It is as far removed from iai-jutsu as kendo is from kenjutsu. Iaijutsu is more direct and forceful, less concerned with the state of the practitioner's mind and more with dispatching the opponent.

Kendo is the way of the sword, Japanese fencing. The primary goal of kenjutsu is victory over opponents; the primary goal of kendo is to improve oneself through the study of the sword. Kendo also has a strong sporting aspect with big tournaments avidly followed by the Japanese public. Thus kendo could be considered the philosophical/sporting aspect of Japanese swordsmanship.

If you need any further info, feel free to e-mail me.

Source(s): http://www.kjartan.org/swordfaq/section01.html Wado-ryu karate (4 years training) MJER iaido (2 years training) Jo-do (1 year training)
  • 1 decade ago

If you would like to know how to handle a sword there are a number of organizations that can help you learn just that. First of all you have to know what kind of sword fighting interests you. There are 3 large schools that I am aware of: Asian, Middle Eastern, and European. There are many smaller schools within those three. I practice European swordsmanship. If that interests you try searching for "historical fencing". If you are in the USA then some places to get started would include ARMA, SCA, Martinez Academy of Arms, Tattershall, Davis Period Fencing (Sacramento area)

There are a few things you need to be clear on before you start:

1. Learning to use a sword is like learning any other martial art, it takes time, discipline, patience, and humility

2. It is not like you see in films.

3. Sword fighting is dangerous even with "safe" weapons. If you choose not to wear protective gear then you will absolutely sustain injuries, probably serious ones.

4, You are not impressing anyone who matters by NOT wearing protective gear. So wear it!!!!!

• idai
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Hi there

Yep Mushins right you really need to find an instructor otherwise you wont know if what your doing is correct. Training in this way results in many bad habits which can be very difficult to get out of. You haven't mentioned which type of sword style you want to study.?

European sword fighting is very difficult to Japanese sword fighting. If you mean the samurai way of fighting there is lots to learn from drawing (iaido), Fencing (kendo), traditional forms (Kenjutsu), actual cutting practice and sword locks and throws (daishosabaki).

Then theres all the other stuff such as Kamae, correct etiquette, sword maintenance, samurai zen etc. So you see its quite a large subject area that really needs instruction. You can buy videos and books on the subject matter but again without direction its very difficult.

You can try amazon for books and budovideos for dvds etc.

Best wishes

idai

• Matt G
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Be careful when searching for "sword fighting" on the internet. Stick to searching for FENCING. Sword fighting has a secondary meaning amongst the perverse crowd.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Go to www.swordforum.com

They have loads of information, and a place where you can ask about classes or partners in your area.

I strongly advise against solo learning. Even if you don't hurt yourself or others, you will only be practicing it wrong.

Good luck.

• 1 decade ago

chop a few trees down.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.