Honda Civic LX 1998, 5-speed transmission question?

I need to replace the transmission on my above-described vehicle. Can anyone tell me if a transmission that is supposed to be in an EX or other model will work in my car? Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Are you sure it is not in need of a new clutch plate , pressure plate ,and throw out bearing. @ $150+ installation

It's pretty hard to damage the gears in a standard transmission.

Theres not much differance in transmissions of that BODY style, especially standards.

• jose o

I have a civic 98 EX 5-speed, and according to the honda service manual, there doesn't appear to be any difference as far as transmissions between models (EX, LX) other than the engine stiffener and clutch plate being different between these group types of engines:

group 1: D16Y5, D16Y8

group 2: D16Y7

So if you're putting in an EX transmission into your LX (assuming your gears are completely totaled), then making sure the engine models share the same group above should ensure compatibility.

Good luck!

Source(s): http://www.i-eshop.com/honda_civic_repair do it myself honda civic repairs