both, chlorine and carbon monoxide are very poisonous. which is more dangerous and why?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • gp4rts
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Chlorine has a very strong odor and is an irritant--it cannot be ignored; it also is greenish in color. CO is colorless and odorless. Therefore you can be exposed to CO and be poisoned without being aware of it, so it is far more dangerous.

  • 1 decade ago

    Well,lets look at it from both directions.Chlorine is less dense than carbon monoxide and therfore diffuses through air faster.It has a noticeable greenish hus to it and is an irritant in small doses,though in larger doses it can cause haemorrhaging of the lungs,which is really a painful way to die as you are literally coughing up your lungs.This happens as chlorine is a very reactive and is a bleaching agent;a similar effect on your lungs would be like exposing them to a pound of bleach.So,your epithelial cells in the lung will die off slowly as their cell walls are destroyed by the chlorine(irreparably in large doses),resulting in blood pooling inside your lungs,which you try to cough up but cant as more blood keeps pouring out.Eventually,you will drown in your own blood(yeech).Anyways,chlorine isn;t oxygen and cannot be used by the body to respire anyways,so even if it was not corrosive the effect would be similar to suffocating in a blanket of carbon dioxide.(again,only applicable for large doses of chlorine)

    Carbon monoxide is poisonous as it has a higher affinity to haemoglobin(the protein that makes your blood cells red),froming carboxyhaemoglobin.In essence,carbon monoxide is like a taxi passenger that refuses to get off at his destination as he doesn't have the fee.Therefore more passengers,a.k.a oxygen molecules,cant bind with haemoglobin,so we die of suffocation,which will feel like losing consciousness.Not very painful,but it is faster.

  • 1 decade ago

    carbon monoxide is highly dangerous as if it combines with the haemoglobin of the blood, it forms carboxy haemoglobin which affects breathing; also it has high affinity towards haemoglobin than oxygen(200 times greater than oxygen) so it doesnt allow oxygen to combine with haemoglobin.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.