Itsjustme asked in PetsReptiles · 1 decade ago

i found a turtle outside...its still a baby i think. cause its small.?

i dont know anything about turtles...it wont eat.and i dont know what to do with it.i dont want to keep it in the house cause i heard kids under the age of 10 can get Salmonella from baby turtles.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It won't eat because he is too stressed. He had everything he needed in the wild and possibly nothing he needs in your house. Also he had plenty of room out there too! Either put him back where you found him or find a rehabilitation center to take him until spring.

Source(s): I own 3 RES, 3 Penn Cooters, 2 Russian tortoises and am a moderator on an awesome turtle and pet forum, http://www.turtleexchange.com/forum/inde... come check us out!
  • 1 decade ago

Habitat loss and nesting activity increases the chances you might meet a wild RES. There are possible scenarios in which you may encounter a wild RES and wish to take action. Any action is optional. For instance, it is up to you if you want to help a nest survive since most wild nests do not. The RES is not an endangered or threatened species and you may decide to let nature decide what happens. I do recommend helping an injured turtle since there are options to offer care. Do be careful when handling wild animals. There is no reason to expect them to be hospitable and they may be even more dangerous if injured. Please think ahead and take every measure to be careful.

If you Found a Healthy Turtle Nearby, It would be best to leave this turtle alone. It may be searching for an area to nest or it may be in search of a new habitat. If you know where that turtle originated from, you might want to return it there to release it. If you know that its previous habitat is unsuitable, you may want to contact a re-homing organization or rescue center to relocate this turtle. If it has strayed to a dangerous area, such as a road, then return it to the appropriate habitat or place it on the other side of the road in the direction it was heading. If you Found a Sick or Injured Turtle, A good idea would be to take it to a rescue center or a vet. Let the vet know it's a wild turtle and they may administer free care, but it would likely not be returned to you. Remember, proceed with caution to prevent harm to yourself or to worsen existing injuries.

since you Came Across a Turtle in the Wild, Observe it if you wish to, but that is about it. Local laws vary and it may be illegal for you to remove it from the wild. If you have captured a wild RES, you should release it immediately. Wild animals do not adapt well to captivity despite your intentions. Captive RES are readily available. If you need to provide food for a wild RES, you should look into what they would normally consume in their normal habitat, such as insects and aquatic vegetation.

• mguyen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

judging from the image it looks like a container turtle. you may feed him a style of meals from the puppy save that are very low priced. considering the fact that he's so little you ought to probable save him in a 10 gallon tank till he gets greater desirable. Turtle improve rather slow so he would be little for a whilst. additionally if he's a container turtle, you may feed him culmination and vegetables like lettuce, carrots and issues like that. verify you provide him adequate lights because of the fact he's a reptile and desires easy to digest their nutrition. verify you cope with him little or no because of the fact he continues to be wild and it will rigidity him out.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Anyone can get salmonella. I think you should return it back into the wild. I assure you it will eat once placed back in the wild.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Kenny
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Put it back in the wild and It'll be fine.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

take it to a vet or an animal shelter that treats more than just cats or dogs.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.