promotion image of download ymail app
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCorporations · 1 decade ago

Should I file for a S-CORP or LLC?

Looking to open a retail store and wanted understand the best way to open a store under S-corp or LLC

3 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    It's smart to protect personal assets from business debts and liabilities. Both owners of S Corporations and LLC's enjoy limited personal liability. By contrast, sole proprietors and partners have unlimited personal risk.

    Traditionally, business owners who chose to form an entity to protect personal assets but allow income/losses to be reported on a personal tax return had to create an S Corporation. Today, that can also be accomplished with an LLC. All 50 states and District of Columbia recognize LLC's, and their popularity has soared. Nolo's Legal Guide for Starting and Running a Small Business states, "For the majority of small businesses, the relative simplicity and flexibility of the LLC make it the better choice. This is especially true if your business will hold property, such as real estate, that's likely to increase in value."

    Both S Corporations and LLC's allow owners to avoid "double taxation" and to pay income taxes on a flow-through basis like sole proprietors and partners. However, LLC's are quickly becoming a preferred entity among small business. Here are some key examples of the benefits of an LLC verses an S Corporation:

    An LLC is simpler and faster to form. It may be formed in one step, while an S Corporation election can only be made after a General Corporation is formed first.

    An LLC is not required to hold annual meetings or to keep formal minutes, while an S Corporation is required to do so.

    LLC members can split profits/losses in any way they choose. In an S corporation, shareholders must receive dividends according to the number of shares that they own, regardless of the amount of effort put into the business.

    An LLC can be owned by any combination of individuals or business entities. Only United States citizens and resident aliens may own an S Corporation. Other entities generally may not own an S Corporation.

    While many business owners are enjoying the simplicity and flexibility of the LLC, it may not be the best choice in every case:

    Most states allow single-member LLC's, however Massachusetts requires two members. Married owners often accommodate this by naming a spouse. If you prefer not to share ownership, you may need to form a Massachusetts corporation instead.

    Enticing or compensating employees with stock options or stock bonuses requires forming a corporation since LLC's do not issue stock.

    S Corporation shareholders pay Medicare and Social Security tax only on money received as wages or salary, but not on profits received as dividends or that stay within the company. Under certain conditions, LLC members may need to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes on the entire amount of LLC profits. In particular, LLC's that provide professional services such as health, law or engineering should consult a tax advisor on this issue.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    an llc does not really give you any protection if you sign papers for the store in reality you are signing personally. if you have an s corp and you sign papers as anofficer of the corp, and do not give a personal guarantee, the corp veil protects you. of cousres if fraud is involved you would than a a problem if you did have problems and signed personally your only recourse if the business failed and you do not want to be paying the bills for a defunkt company you would need to get a lawyer and check out the bankruptcy that would benifit you either chpter 7 or 11 this question should be asked of your attorney as he wouold know your situation better and could give you the correct ans

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • The two are both "flow through" entities, which means the income flows to your personal tax return. However, they have different nature in other aspects. The decision which is better depends on the exact situation and your intentions and projections to the future. My advice is to consult a lawyer that specializes in it as well as an accountant. It might cost you some money now, but most likely will save your problems and money in the future.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.