Firearms purchase buyers remorse?

After reading this forum for the last 2 years I have a pretty good idea about the majority view on selling a firearm( Basically, don't do it) And I feel the same way. Now let's look at the other end of the spectrum, How many of you have bought a firearm only to wish you had never bought it? Any particular reason why? I have only felt buyers remorse for one gun purchase.

Around 10 years ago I bought a Rossi stainless 357 snubby. I knew then that it was not a quality firearm, but I bought it anyhow. I kept it less than a year and was able to sell it for 20 dollars less than what I paid for it.

What firearms have you bought, if any, that you felt buyers remorse for?

Favorite Answer

Well, I can't say it was buyer's regret because I didn't buy the piece of crap, it was given to me. I don't remember the manufacturer but I think it may have been a Jennings. It was a cheap .22 revolver. The gun had belonged to a friend of a co-worker and while he was shooting it, the bullets in the chambers had slipped forward in the cases and jammed the cylinder making the gun unusable. He gave it to my co-worker telling him that if he could unjam it, he could have it. He was afraid to try to unjam it so he brought it to me to toss overboard the next time I went fishing off shore. I saw the problem was an easy fix so I unjammed the cylinder and offered to return it to my co-worker. He declined and told me to keep it. Later I took it out to shoot it and it jammed on me just as it had done before. It, the box, the owner's manual and all now rest on the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico. Problem solved.

Winchester model 70 in .270 WSM! I had never owned a long range deer rifle, and was told the WSM would be the latest and greatest rounds ever. What I didn't realize is that the .270 wsm round is very expensive ($40-60 per box of 20) and kicks like a freaking mule on steroids. It also has a tendency to "eat" scopes due to the recoil.

I've since shot friends 30-06 and regular.270 that seem to have half the kick of the .270 WSM. It has caused me to develop some bad shooting habits (flinching and bruises).

If I take it hunting, God forbid that I need ammo, since you'll only find it at a few locations, unlike a 30-06 , .308, or .270 which is readily available everywhere. I wish I would have gone with tried and true, instead of getting something new and "cool". I've actually gone back to close range deer hunting with the 30-30 and the 12 guage and now leave the .270 WSM in the gun safe.

• H

Gun buyer's remorse? Only one time: A first generation S&W Sigma 9mm w/night-sights & LE only high cap mags. It was JUNK. I had to go out and find a 10 round mag so I could even sell it (and pay good money for the darned 10 rounder); then I GAVE away three LE only mags to a Constable I didn't even know (since I couldn't legally sell the LE mags. I noticed he was carrying a Sigma on-duty. Fortunately he didn't have the hi cap mags so he was very grateful!).

I did keep the S&W cuffs that came with the Sigma, so those also are the costliest pair of cuff I've ever bought! LOL!

Good question. Thanks!

H

I bought a .58 muzzle loader carbine from Cabela's. It was called a Big Boar (kind of a play on words) or something. I took a few deer with it, and it had great stopping power, but the recoil was so great that the stock flexed and broke the trigger guard. That was fine until the drum and nipple blew out of it and damn near lost me an eye. I got that back in, but have been afraid to fire it much since. I don't think that I want to sell it, even if I inform the buyer that the drum blew out once. I couldn't take it if someone lost the front of his face. It is sitting in my basement waiting for a final decision. There goes $350.

A Rossie 38 special until I sent it to the factory for repairs. They polished all of the internals and the exterior to a mirror finish. It functioned flawlessly after that. As for any other "buyer's remorse", EAA .45 compact, Llama Super Comanche .44 Rem Mag., Llama .45 Mini-Max 2, the list is endless.

I had to do a lot of chamber and ramp polishing to get either of the .45's to function even close to dependably and then they would only take FMJ's. HP's jammed almost every time, even with Silvertips.

I bought a Remington 700 SS a few years back and I got it in .30-06 and I wish that I had gotten it in .308 instead. I love the rifle I just wished that I had bought a different caliber round, nothing wrong with the .30-06 I just prefer the .308. But other than that I do not feel remorse about any gun I have purchased.

Remember in the late 80's when Daisy tried to market a .22lr bolt action rifle? (Not the earlier Daisy VL .22caseless rifle)

This was a youth sized single shot rifle similar to the Chipmunk .22, but much more crudely made and with a synthetic stock.

Well, I was in Walmart, and they had their last one marked down to 59.00. I knew it had to be a P.O.S. then, but hey, they had Daisy Pellet guns there that cost just as much, and I figured it might make a nice cheap knock-around for behind the truck seat.

Thirty minutes after buying it, I was at my range to try it out.

- Bottom line was, it wouldn't shoot.

Either the firing pin was defective or the firing pin hole in the bolthead was not large enough to let it pass, I didn't look closely enough to be certain which, I was too angry to check.

This was a Brand New gun, and it wouldn't dent a rim.

I experienced at that moment, some serious buyers remorse.

I returned the gun to the store, where they informed me that they did no accept returns on firearms.

I argued that this shouldn't be considered a firearm, because it wouldn't SHOOT AT ALL. .......BRAND NEW!

I had gone to school with their FFL holder, however, and after a heated discussion with the store manager, I did indeed get my 59.95 back.

I learned a 59.95 Daisy .22lr is far, far, inferior to a 70.00 Daisy pellet gun, - A lesson Daisy themselves had already figured out as well.

Source(s): 31 years firearms experience

Two: the Chicom SKS carbine from Hell and a Llama 45. The SKS would shoot a 18" group from the bench at 100 yards provided it did not stove pipe jam which it did about every third round. It now is a wall decoration in a Barber Shop in East Texas though it would have made a great tomato Stake or fence post. The Llama had this annoying tendency to send spent shell cases to the center of my forehead.

• Mr. P

Not really in the same respect as yours but yeah I guess so. I have been lucky (or unlucky depend who you look at it) to be in the right place at the right time more than once. First time was a popular extremely low serial numbered (in the teens), unfired, new in the box rifle, just put out on the shelf from a estate lot. It was a awesome find but if I ever fire it the collector value goes way down. A couple weeks later I'm back in the same shop and there is a popular 40 year old pistol NIB unfired I scored but again if I fire it value drops dramatically. I hope that everybody out there has a safe queen too.

• MR. T.

I bought a 9mm (Itialian made) not sure of the maker, but it shot well (action wise) except it was all over the place on the target, I could never get a good pattern no matter how hard I tried. I switched to revolvers after that, and don't know if I trust automatics any more. I bet some better quality ones are fine, just skeptical after that handgun!