Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

My neighbors cat has adopted us?

My neighbors cat has apparently adopted us. Recently, her owner acquired a very large, loud dog, and "Baby" has been coming over to our house to hang out. It started as brief visits for snacks and petting, and has now turned into long evenings with us on the couch and lately, overnight stays on our bed cuddled up with us. I have talked to the owner, and she doesn't seem to care that "Baby" visits us, and even gave us food to feed her. I want to just adopt her as ours, but don't know how to go about it. She hates the dog, and doesn't want to go home since he's there, but the owner is blase about it and isn't getting rid of the dog anytime soon. Meanwhile, My husband and I are getting very attached, and "Baby" (aka "Sagwa", as we have been calling her) is getting very, very comfortable in our home. What should we do? P.S. The owner knows that when she is not at home, she is at our house, but never comes looking for her, even when she's there days on end. The cat is 9 years old and fixed

Best Answer

Sounds like Sagwa has already done all the work for you. Congratulations on the new addition to your family. (If you're worried about the neighbor changing his mind, you might ask him about signing a notarized letter relinquishing his rights to the animal, but it doesn't sound like he'll care enough to do that).

To Mark: There's a question in there: "What should we do?" If you really reported her, you should be reported for filing a false report. And your hat is stupid.

I'd just chat again to the neighbour. Say that you'll stop feeding/encouraging the cat if this is what they want so that the cat can bond with the dog. But if they say that they don't mind, say that you'd rather feel that the cat is properly yours so that there's no issue with who pays the vet's fees etc. The cat is getting to an age where she may need some sort of treatment and you need to be clear where your responsibility lies. You say that the neighbour 'isn't getting rid of the dog anytime soon' - I hope that they have no intention of doing so as a dog is meant to be a life-long commitment. So is a cat - but it sounds as though Baby has voted with her paws and walked out on them and the new dog. Sad, but it happens. They must care a little otherwise they wouldn't be giving you food. Just talk and see how they feel. They may be glad that the cat is happy as they are also committed to the dog. Good luck either way!

Maybe the owner is waiting for you to ask if you can keep her my new cat did the same thing he showed up and never left but not one person has came forward to claim him. I think you should have a good talking with the owner maybe her giving you the food is a sign and if the owner has not came and said hey I want my cat back then just say ok she is mine some dogs just really bug cats and in this case it sounds like that dog will not leave her alone or the cat is just not a doggy kinda cat but talking to her is the best way and thing to do at least you would feel more relaxed knowing this I hope this helped you.

I'm thinking that maybe the best way to handle this for now is to leave it up to Sagwa. She seems to be happy with the current arrangement. I'd just keep feeding her, caring for her and letting her decide where to sleep. As the attachment grows (and I think it's likely that it will for both you and the cat) you might approach the neighbor and ask that you both take a look at what has become the reality of the situation. (Sagwa has chosen you.)

You should go talk to your neighbor about taking her in on a permanent basis. If they gave you food they probably wouldn't mind. Just say that you have become very attached and that you would like to take the kitty on full time. See what they say. If they say no then you need to not deal with the cat anymore. Also, remember that you have created this attachment by allowing the cat to stay in your home all the time. The neighbor is not responsible for that. I hope it works out in your best interest. Let me know how it turns out.

I think that your neighbors give a very clear message which animal is more important to them, at least at the moment. If they pay more attention to the new pet, that just means that they are not REAL animal lovers. They got bored with the pet they had, and now they have a new toy. I believe that Baby can sense that. You should continue loving her and carrying about her, and in time she will forget them. As for the "owners", if it really means that much to you to be able to call Baby YOURS, try to talk to them. Maybe they will be reasonable about it. GOOD LUCK!!!

Source(s): Experience

Cats are very good at picking their favorites! If your neighbour doesn't seem to care, why not just ask her if you can have the cat? it's worth the try if you like the cat that much.

And anyway, Sagwa is so much cooler than Baby :-)

Check w/ the owner and get on paper a transfer of ownership and even if you do not become the owner get that in writing,,,it protects you,,,in my state the person who feeds and cares for the cat is responsible for its actions (even a stray) so if something as simple as a scratch becomes a legal issue you can protect yourself from responsibility if your neighbor doesnt transfer ownership!

Source(s): as a manager of Petco I must be alert to all local animal related laws

Talk to the neighbor and ask if you can have the cat since it seems to have adopted you.

The neighbor could say..

1. Sure, that's fine.

2. I don't know. It's our cat. It's fine that it visits but we are attached to her. Can we keep things as they are?

It doesn't seem like it would hurt to ask if you really want to adopt the cat. That's so nice of you to take care of the cat.

I keep my cats indoors and always have. I'm attached to them myself. A friend of mine wanted one of them and I couldn't let her go. It was because the cat looked like one of her cats that had passed away. Her dad's a veterinarian. But I just couldn't do it. I did consider that I could adopt (save) another cat.

maybe offering to buy baby will work. Since things that get "given" away later turn out to have strings attached. If you want baby so much talk to your husband about a price and present it to the owner..hopefully they accept

such a cute story by the way.