Can I turn off a co-worker's cell phone?

The woman I sit next too (we share a cubicle wall) just left for lunch. Apparently she left her cell phone here, and it keeps beeping and vibrating every 2 minutes. Would it be ok if I went over to her desk and just hit a button to make it stop beeping? FYI...this woman and I don't necessarily get along....

Ok, you guys are all right. I won't touch it.

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

You shouldn't touch her belongings incase she throws a fit, but you SHOULD leave your cell phone unattended during lunch break and spend your break making calls to it, then if she's not smart enough to stay away and tries to turn it off, SWEET REVENGE. (and i promise if she comes on here and asks for advice, i'll advise her to promptly turn it off and tell everyone in the office she did it so you have witnesses hahaha)

edit:

then maybe management will move her away from your cube because she messed with your stuff and you don't feel safe being next to her! IT'S BRILLIANT!

There really isn't a good way to justify your actions. The phone wasn't yours and if it was a bother then moving it into her purse or a drawer and shutting the door would have been an effective and more acceptable alternative if you couldn't find the volume button. Recent calls you miss often don't show up after you turn a phone off and it may have been an important number she needed, but that's not even the most important point in this situation. The important point is that it isn't your phone to do what you want with. You may have had good intentions or you may have just been annoyed, yourself, and opted to just turn it off. It's really her situation to deal with. If ppl are annoyed then they'll have to confront her about it, it has nothing to do with you even if you are her friend. Since we're in the "Etiquette" category I would like to add that it is poor etiquette to have your phone on ring and not vibrate or silent while in the work place. Not professional. Office manager or not, friend or not, boss or not (etc) it's someone elses property and the appropriate course of action would to be to find the person or confront them when they return and if you are in a position of authority you can make their misconduct known afterwards. The interruption, if any, will better show the employee why it is the office has certain rules. I believe you take an unentitled amount of power upon yourself when you innapropriately "take matters into your own hands." All in all, you did cross the line and it'd be best if you humbled yourself for just a moment, long enough to tell her you understand where she is coming from and that you sincerely apologize for what you did. Do you really want to be that woman that sticks to her defenses even if she's wrong? Nobody really wants a friend like that. Good intentions or not.

You could place it in the upper most desk drawer without turning it off. It will serve as a sound dampener and can still be heard but much lower. If she asks, you can tell her that you put it in there because it was beeping loudly and vibrating and causing a distraction. The most likely response you'll get from her is "Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to take with me". To which you can reply: "I'm just looking out for you and you're welcome". Or, you can just leave it alone and eat lunch somewhere else.

• June B

Personal cell phones have no place in a work environment!! Any "emergency" calls should come thru the business phone lines. All other personal calls should be made on personal time, not business time. Anyone carrying a cell phone should keep it turned OFF and in their pocket (men) or purse (ladies). Therefore, your co-worker should not have her personal cell phone in her desk or turned on while at her job!! Speak to your manager about cell phone rules.

You could do the same thing back and see how she likes it. Leave your phone with the ringer up and call it 5 times over lunch while she's there. Then when you get back ask if you missed any calls/did it disturb her. Then say it was rude of you and apologize. Maybe she'll get the hint.

No, don't touch it; if an emergency call came in and they fiound that you turned it off you could have an issue that you don't really need.

Just ignore her, and the phone.

nope, don't touch. its not yours and you would be invading her privacy and quite possibly end up getting in trouble for it. just let her know in a joking way about the beeping when she get back. hopefully she'll get the point. tough it out for now

• Maria

I wouldn't!

If you got caught it could be trouble. Or if something would happen in her office or go missing, it would put you on the spot!

Turn up the radio on your computer. Accuradio.com has free radio, no downloads!

No never, just tell her when she comes back that it went off several times and in future to please either turn it off or take it with her.

No... there are legal implications that you may not be concidering