Why are houses in Canada so expensive?

A decent single family house in Toronto (not detached) can't be for less than $360k. Houses are small in area and, let's face it, even though some people enjoy winter, most of us regrets it. Only the bases are brick, most of the house is really wood made. If you go south (US) you get for the same price... show more A decent single family house in Toronto (not detached) can't be for less than $360k. Houses are small in area and, let's face it, even though some people enjoy winter, most of us regrets it. Only the bases are brick, most of the house is really wood made.
If you go south (US) you get for the same price much bigger land with all year sun, beaches nearby, detached and 100% solid rock.
So, there must be a reason right?
I'm not speculating with the data, I recently helped purchasing a house in Florida and now I'm looking in Toronto, so I have the actual numbers, measurement and specs.

Pls notice.
This is not a complain about Canada and I'm not looking for critics to the goverment, law system or anything politically related... I'm just looking for the "technical" facts that could explain the high prices for -aparently- less valuable houses. I want to buy a house an feel that I'm doing a good investment.
Thanks