Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Mark asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 decade ago

Do Apes/Chimpanzees/Monkeys peel bananas before they eat them or do they eat the banana w/ the skin on?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

In all honesty it really depends on the individual. At our zoo we have 7 species of primates (apes and monkeys) and with the species that get fed nanners they all have their own way.

Take just one species, gorillas. We have some that will eat them whole. Some peel them and eat just the nanner, then toss the peels. Others will eat just the peels and throw away the good stuff. While even others will change what they do from day to day.

Like I said, it depends on the individual.

Source(s): work at a zoo
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Do Apes/Chimpanzees/Monkeys peel bananas before they eat them or do they eat the banana w/ the skin on?

Source(s): apes chimpanzees monkeys peel bananas eat eat banana skin on: https://shortly.im/Ac9CP
  • 1 decade ago

I have seen some monkeys splitting or biting a banana in half, and then peeling it. It's way easier than peeling a whole banana.

• 1 decade ago

All monkeys and Apes discard the peel, but that doesn't mean they peel the banana first. They usually bite both off, eat the good part and spit the peel out. Sometimes, they will just eat the insides, but that means they have time to do it without others coming to get their fair share as well.

Source(s): personal observation. I've worked as a Primatologist for too many years to count.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It probably depends on how hungry they are. Most of the Chimps I've seen in nature films tend to eat the bananna skins along with the banannas. Monkeys are probably more likley to just eat the banannas. They seem to be rather picky eaters. In trees filled with fruit, they often take just a single bite and throw the rest away. In human terms, this is rather like asking people if they peel apples before eating them.

• ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

What Do Apes Eat

• 1 decade ago

They peel them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.