Anonymous
Anonymous asked in 社會與文化語言 · 1 decade ago

Come in if ur a grammar pro

Attention Please:I only need your simple explanations for the following questions;however,you are more than welcome to provide as many details as you want.In addition,It won't be necessary to specify your "outstanding' background in order to make your answers more believable.

Thank you for answering the questions either in Chinese or English.

1:You will not succeed without working harder.

Can I use 'unless' instead?

2:What it is known about him is that he was a non-conformist with a fondness for dink who found himself living in a society where few things were prized more among literate Chinesse than orthodoxy and obedience.

Can you find out where the mistake is?The answer key says the word 'for'

one line 2 is the one,but I strongly believe it's the wrong answer.What do you think?

3:Shocking as the results of these experiments might be,they just confirm what we've known for ages.

Why not shocked?

Q1:I know I can say'You won't succeed unless you work harder.'

What I am not sure is if I can say'You won't succeed unless working harder.'

Q2:We think pretty much the same.

Q3:Shocking= 驚人的; 使人驚訝的 (東西)and Shocked= 是刑容人, 動物, 等等 而不是刑容東西的

Thank you for the information provided,but I've known this part.What I don't understand is if the omitted subject is 'they',shouldn't we use 'shocked?'

The grammar , as far as I know, is called 'Participial Construction.' 是'人'被結果嚇到不是嗎??? I am not completely clear yet!

To Mr./Ms.Opinion 1:要寫意見請先看人家問啥!牙齒是用來吃東西的謝謝!

To Taboleh,

Thank u for anwering my questions. About Q2, I don't think 'fondness' can be followed by 'in'.As for the word 'ding',I am not sure if it's mistakenly typed.

I should have more questions to ask later on. It would be great to see your

answers again.

Rating
    Favorite Answer

1:

I don't think so, it just doesn't sound right. I googled it, and found examples of "unless" followed by what I call a complete sentence (subject + verb + [optional object]).

2:

Dink in this sentence could mean "a couple with two incomes and no children" or "a member of such a couple" since "he was a non-conformist." There is a saying that "不孝有三,無後為大," and he didn't have any child.

So, it could be "fondness in dink" or "fondness of being ding" if the answer key is correct.

3:

If you rearrange the phrase, you get the following. It may be easier to see the correlation.

The results of these experiments might be shocking, they (the results) just confirm what we've known for ages.

The results can be shocking, but the results can't be shocked. It is more of an issue with active or passive sentence.

2008-02-02 20:51:07 補充:

sure. if i come across your post. i try to not browse too many questions here, especially those in chinese. reading and answering too many of them is really hurting my english.

我被匿名問英文的人騙了兩次...

回答完就刪掉了

1. Yes. "You cannot succeed UNLESS YOU WORK HARDER"

2. "What it is known about him is that he was a non-conformist with a fondness for dink who found himself living in a society where few things were prized more among literate Chinesse than orthodoxy and obedience."

This sentence is very strange... "for" is not wrong here. "dink" is. Did you mean "drink"?

The revised sentence would be written thus:

"What is known about him is that he was a non-conformist with a fondness for DRINKING,..."

3. "Shocking as the results may seem" is an expression.

Shocking= 驚人的; 使人驚訝的 (東西)

Shocked= 是刑容人, 動物, 等等 而不是刑容東西的

Source(s): born and still being raised in US