How is someone ever "half" jewish (or any other religion)?

I hear all the time people saying that they are "half" jewish. Or they are half "catholic"? How are you a "half" of any relgion? Its like being a virgin; either you are or you are not. You cannot be a "half" a virgin. It is not the same as being born from two... show more I hear all the time people saying that they are "half" jewish. Or they are half "catholic"?

How are you a "half" of any relgion? Its like being a virgin; either you are or you are not. You cannot be a "half" a virgin.

It is not the same as being born from two different racial parents where you are half and half. Even if both parents are separate religions, faith is always "Whole" and not half this and half that.

Does being "half" jewish mean that you only celebrate hannukah? Celebrating a religion for the sake of family get-togethers is not actually BEING or LIVING Jewish / Catholic.

I like Diwaili, and celebrate it with my friends, so does that make me "half" hindi?
Update: Judiasm is not a race or ethnicity, it is a religion. The ethnicity of Jewish decent is mediteranean.