Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 1 decade ago

Quieten a noisy generator please?

As a result of frequent electricity power cuts we have installed a petrol generator. The loud noise from the generator (when running) disturbs the people working inside the adjacent building.

It is located outside on an open patio on a concrete floor. The patio is open on two sides, with windows on the other two sides. An awning will be erected above the generator to protect from rain.

What is the best way/s to reduce the noise from this extremely noisy beast?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Portable generators are noisy. If you have neighbors nearby or the noise is unbearable in your house here are some ideas.

Choose an operating location as far away as possible. Note that a larger gauge wire is needed to reduce voltage drop as line length increases. Reducing line loss is required to minimize power loss and to ensure maximum power is available to the house. Lights will flicker less when heavy loads are attached.

Change the exhaust system. Noise from the portable generator systems comes primarily from two sources, the engine block and the exhaust system. With an air cooled engine there is little you can do about block noise. Some engines can have a larger muffler attached or make other changes to the exhaust system. Merely mounting exhaust pipe vertically will noticeably reduce noise.

Build a noise shielding enclosure. This could be as simple as a piece of plywood to reflect sound away from the house to a separate shed to hold the generator. Design your enclosure with safety in mind. Provide adequate air circulation and ventilation to prevent heat buildup and to remove carbon monoxide.

If the noise bothers your neighbors, invite them over for coffee or offer to run line to their home to power the freezer or a few lights. Talk to them before starting the engine, ask they let you know if the noise is bothersome before they phone the police or harbor any resentment. A little diplomacy can go a long way.

Last resort, shut off the engine or buy a quiet generator.

Source(s): Read my home generator page... http://members.rennlist.org/warren/generator.html
    • Login to reply the answers
  • yau
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Noisy Generator

• 1 decade ago

We have a generator also. You know you want to protect the generator from the aliments, so you build around the generator.

We had to do the same thing. However, when we had to go to a place that sells building supplies I spotted a child's play house. Took a look and purchased it to cover the generator.

I always wanted a play house when I was a kid, so now I have one. We put shingles on the roof and made a plywood door to cover the entrance. When running the generator be sure you have ventilation.

You could always tell the people next door to build you something to cover the generator. When the power goes off you hear more than one generator. At least we do in the north woods.

Aside from that, you might get lucky and purchase something pre made like we did. Sometimes you have to improvise. You can find plans and make it yourself or check out play ground equipment.

Good luck

• 1 decade ago

If it's a single cylinder it's almost impossible to quiet down, because of what is called harmonics. Changing mufflers will not help!...believe me.

If it is a dual or multi cylinder, you might try changing to a different muffler. Check with your muffler dealer for size and quietness.

Moving the gen-set to a different location might , also, be an option. However don't try enclosing it too much. It needs plenty of cool air to preventing overheating.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Did you know that you can pick a padlock using simply a paperclip and bobby pin? All it takes is a little wiggling, tension, and precision, and you should be on your way to opening up a padlock. It's recommended that you only perform this on your own lock as attempting to break into other people's locks is illegal.

• 1 decade ago

What is the KW rating? Is this an enclosed generator? Is the noise coming from the motor? Is the muffler intact? There are sound barriers that can be erected. I would contact the manufacturer first.

• 1 decade ago

4stroke generator are more quiter than the 2stroke generator, so 4stroke ones is recommended. If not, erect 4sided brick walls (small room) to keep noise down with ventilation for the generator. Hope these helps.

• 1 decade ago

you must not live in the US... you cant say Petrol in the US without being called gay, lol... anyways, anything running on gasoline isnt going to be quiet. if you're only using the generator when the power goes out, they shouldnt complain... what are THEY going to be doing with the power out?? certainly not watching tv and hopefully not reading a book, insufficient lighting damages the eyes, candlelight is not sufficient

but you could build an enclosure for it, leaving room for intake and exhaust

• 1 decade ago

Get a HONDA generator, they are very quiet, efficient and reliable, I love mine!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.