how do you apply for duel citizenship for US/Canada?

I am a from the US

I live in Maine. My mother was born in Canada. Someone told me I can apply for duel citizenship without moving to Canada (basically so I don't need to get a passport next year)

Favorite Answer

Applying to emigrate, living in Canada for 3 years for residency requirements, and then applying for citizenship - altogether is currently taking anywhere from 6 to 10 years.

Once you obtain Canadian citizenship (after you have sworn the oath to the Queen) then you are automatically a dual citizen as you will still keep your american citizenship as well.

• hanora

You apply for permanent residency in Canada, have it granted, live there for 3 or so years and then apply for citizenship, take a test and pass it, swear an oath to the queen and there you go.

First you have to qualify for landed immigrant status in Canada, they work on a points system so it depends on your age, marital status, language skills, work skills and education. I belive you can get more points if you have family in Canada. If you qualify and then move to Canada you can apply for citizenship after 3 years.

Apply for citizenship from the "other" country.