tazzmainiandevils asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Should a cat with feline leukemia be put to sleep?

I look out for the strays in my neighborhood. A young male was recently injured so I captured him and am treating his eye. I feel like he's never had anyone to love him. I don't know if I can keep him because I seem allergic to this one. Plus I have two other males in the house. If I take him to the ASPCA he could get a home, but if he has leukemia, I'm sure he'll get put to sleep without option of taking him back. It's so sad that animals who haven't been loved have such a fate. Should I pay the vet bills myself and just try to get him a home?

Favorite Answer

Feline leukemia can be managed, it depends on how the cat is handling it, if he's got it. There are several very good feline leukemia lists on yahoogroups that you can join, who can give you good answers to all your questions.

The blood test the shelters use is the Elisha test, which is accurate for feline leukemia, BUT it's known for false positives for FIV. If it comes up FIV positive on the test, treat that as a maybe and have the vet do a Western Blot test on the cat. The results from the Western Blot will be accurate.

HOWEVER if the cat has been vaccinated at any point in his life for FIV, he'll have the antibodies in his system for his lifetime--and that will always show as a 'positive' on tests even though he won't have the disease.

FIV cats live long lives, over 15 years in many cases. Feline Leukemia isn't as nice on them and they have shorter lives,but the time you do get with a leukemia cat can be quite long. It's not something that kills in a few months--you do get years.

Your vet can give the Elisha test, I think it costs $30. The Western Blot is $90. A checkup around here is about $35 for a cat.

Well Leukemia means the red blood cells are being destroyed by the disease, just like in humans, that is why your cat is anemic. The only way your cat would feel better is if it had blood transfusions and that would only last a short time until the disease once again destroys the new red blood cells. I'm sorry to say but you need to show some mercy for your animal and a decision needs to be made.

• SusieQ

Take him and get him tested first. The test only takes a few minutes, and is inhouse at most vets. If he is negative, then go ahead and treat him. If he is positive, then you have a tougher decision to make. If your cats are both vaccinated, and you would like to give this little boy a home, then I see no reason why you can't take him in. Many cats live years and years with Felk living dormant in their bloodstream. You can also keep him on a more temporary basis and try to find him a loving home with a person who is educated in feline health. Best of luck!!

if you can not keep him inside and away from other non FELV positive cats, then - as much as I hate to say it - yes, he should be put to sleep.

Cats with FELV can live long healthy lives but they can infect any other cat they come in contact with. Even if the other cats are vaccinated, there is a chance - since no vaccine is 100%

Most people won't want to take in an FELV positive cat, wtih so many healthy cats out there needing homes, they don't want to risk the potential health issues nor risk losing the cat earlier. While adopting a healthy cat is no guaruntee that issues won't come up, they seem pretty much assured if you adopt one that has known issues.

If he tests negative for felv, you might be able to keep him if you have him neutered and bathe him a few times. In tact cats have strong hormones, and that might be what you are reacting to.

I wish both of you all the best, and I hope he is in good health!

• Tessa

It is very sad that an animal that has not been loved have something like leukemia and have to be put to sleep. Leukemia is very contagious and you will be putting your males at risk having him around them. It would not be fair to the person and their pet s if you adopted him out without getting him tested.

• Jess

If this cat has Leukemia and your cats aren't vaccinated against it your cats would get it unless they are separated. I surely hope they are.

What makes you think this cat has Leukemia?

And if he does you don't have to only resort to the SPCA. I'm sure there is a rescue group that would be willing to put some time and effort into this cat if he is friendly and adoptable. Look into it a little more and try www.Petfinder.com

Dear Tazzmain...:

Of course not! So if a human get's leukemia they'll be put to sleep too? Find a good-neighborhood veterinarian in your area, I’ am sure if you explain this situation to them about saving the feline or others. Maybe, work up a fair price with your pet doctor? To help you and your feline family. I just wished there would be some type of Free-Medicaid program for animals in case of financial disturbances. 'Though there is animal insurances that I know of, which helps cover big medical finances.'

Here's some online site's:

1. You can't predict the future of your pet's health, but you can prepare for it.

Pet Care Pet Insurance Programs eliminate the financial stress of providing unexpected medical attention.

We understand that if your pet is ill or has an accident, the last thing you want to think about is money. How much will it cost for medical attention? How much will your pet insurance cover?

Pet Care Pet Insurance Programs give you peace-of-mind. Not only do we offer the most comprehensive, flexible pet care coverage - we also pay a higher percentage of your claim than our competitors. We're meeting the real-life needs of today's cats, dogs and owners.

http://www.metlifepets.com/?CUID=J052285

2. We know you love your cat.

In order to keep your friend healthy, you need to keep his or her vaccines up to date.

Below are the vaccines that the veterinary community recommends for your cat on a yearly basis. l

Click below on the vaccine or here to see more information about each vaccine.

Heartworms are a terrible problem here in the Charleston area. Click here to learn more about them.

Our services include:

Vaccines Cost

Rabies

$10

Distemper/Rhino (4 in 1 combo)

$13

Feline Leukemia

$14

Leukemia test

$26

Our best packages:

Feline

Rabies

Distemper/Rhino

Feline Leukemia

Dewormer $42

Flea Control:

Feline 4 month supply

0-9 lbs. $42

9+ lbs. $44

Heartworm Preventative:

Revolution 6 month supply

5-15 lbs $56

Miscellaneous:

Fecal exam $15

Deworming $10

Anal gland expression $8

Ear swab exam $8

http://www.pethelpers.org/programs_services/medica...

http://www.lowcountrypet.com/cats.htm

3.

QuickCare Intro

Protect your four-legged friend with QuickCare Intro.

Avoid the heartache of expensive vet bills! Insure Today

• Unlimited number of listed accidents covered!*

• Your coverage starts one minute past midnight (EST) the day after you enroll.

• No upfront cost!

• You may be eligible for a discount.

Pay only $1 for your first month* and only $14.05 each month thereafter.

Taking care of your pet´s health couldn't be easier with the PetCare Pet Insurance Programs special offer.

QuickCare Intro Program Coverage Details

Enrollment Age

8weeks - 6 Years Incident Coverage Amount

Benefits

100% coverage

$100 deductible Any First Time Illness

For each first-time illness your pet incurs and needs treatment.

**Maximum two illness claims per year. $ 500

Foreign Body Ingestion

An ingested foreign body needs to be surgically removed. $ 1,000

Motor Vehicle Accident

Medical treatment for injuries resulting from any form of motor vehicle accident. $ 1,000

Bone Fractures

Fractures not caused by a motor vehicle accident. $ 1,000

Poison Ingestion

Should your pet ingest a poisonous substance and require medical treatment. $ 1,000

Lacerations

Medical treatment for an accidental laceration such as cut pads or dog/cat bites and abscesses. $ 1,000

Burns

Should your pet suffer burns which require medical treatment. $ 1,000

Allergic Reaction to Insect Bites/Stings

Should your pet be bitten or stung by an insect and suffer an allergic reaction which requires medical treatment. $ 1,000

Additional

Benefits

Up to coverage amount

Zero deductible Recovery Cost

To pay for advertising or to offer a reward should your dog become lost or missing. $ 150

Euthanasia $ 100

When you activate your coverage, your first month’s premium will be added to your second month’s payment. First Month* :

Prices and deductibles

vary by state.

Please get a quote

to confirm your pricing Monthly Premium after first month: $ 14.05

*note: the $1 for your first month will be charged on your second month's premium.

Please refer to policy terms and conditions for full details. Conditions cannot be noted, symptomatic or pre-existing prior to enrollment.

http://www.petco.com/Content/PetcareInsurance.aspx...

4. http://search.live.com/results.aspx?srch=106&FORM=...

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Monitor3x3@yahoo.com

Like Chris said, it depends on your financial situation.

If you are okay financially, you can take him to a vet to have him check it out as soon as possible.

I have heard people that has cats with leukemia lived quite long with the proper care, of course.

It would be nice to have more people like you with compassion in this world.

That is obviously up to you and your financial situation....

No one can answer that question, but obviously if the at has cancer, you will have to think about the QUALITY of life.. If it will be beneficial to save the cat from lots of medications and pain, then I would say it would be more HUMANE to have the cat put to sleep.. IF it is EASILY controlled, and the cat is not suffering, then sure, I think keeping the cat alive is a good decision.

• BONNI

I'd say yes if it was me. I wouldn't want my cat to suffer and I can't imagine that if a person suffers from cancer that a cat wouldn't also suffer. Putting them to sleep would be hard but at least they wouldn't suffer.

Source(s): It would be a hard decision for anyone who loves their pet.