Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelItalyOther - Italy · 1 decade ago

11 weeks in Italy this summer. Where?

Ok my situation is that I have 11 weeks to spend in Italy during the summer before I go back to uni. I might teach for a bit while I'm there but mainly thinking of going to summer school and doing a bit of travelling. Where do I go?

1) I´ve already lived in or visted Bologna, Bergamo, Florence, Rome, Palermo, Milan, Parma, Venice, Verona, Lucca, Perugia and Siena.

2) I'm in my early 20's and I already have experience of learning Italian for 6 years.

Thanks for any advice!

Favorite Answer

San Marino. Although it's a small country inside Italy. I think that place is pretty. Try there.

If you are looking for a place to have as a home base while you are there, the villa I live at now rents flats to tourists. It is in Viareggio, which is just over the mountain from Lucca (about a 20 minute drive). From the villa you can see the Mediterranean Sea. Viareggio is a very fun town for younger people. I attend Italian classes there as well. They have a great school with classes available for all levels, it is 4 hours a day, M-F and goes in 2 week sessions. They also have free excursions to areas nearby and social activities at night. I can't remember what I paid, but it was reasonable.

Also with Viaregio being right on the sea, you can go to the beach, etc.

Viareggio is great because you can very easily get to Pisa and Lucca (each about 20 min away) Florence is 45 min to 1 hour, You can get to Rome or Naples via the high speed train in 2 and 3 hours. Siena is just south of Florence, though you need a car to go there. Just up the coast is Forte Di Marmi, which is very popular with young Italians for discos, etc. Cinqueterra and Portofino are north of there.

If you are interested in more information about the villas, let me know. And I am sure a discount could be arranged if you were to stay for that long.

Good luck and have fun whatever you do!

Source(s): Live in Italy
  • Erika

Writing from Rome: The Italians shaggy dog tale that the only issues you detect on the streets of Rome in the time of August are mad canines and Englishmen. the city is extraordinarily empty, however the vacationer organisation continues to be going. you will no longer have any situation looking places to stay or to consume (yet lots of the community much less-touristy places might close). My suggestion although is take WATER anyplace you pass, and placed on a hat (ideally straw)! August is the main well liked month and the main humid! the two Rome and Florence can attain as much as a hundred F (37 C) and that may no longer counting the warmth index (warmth plus humidity which makes it sense even warmer). The cities would possibly no longer "close down" in line with se, yet on the holiday, you will locate restricted public transportation and merely approximately all shops would be closed. some suggestions: don't get on the Metro in Rome interior the middle. pass to the two end of the prepare. The pickpockets understand to pass to the middle for the reason that maximum vacationers merely get on precise while they arrive on the platform (often the middle of the prepare). in case you're taking the sixty 4 bus in Rome, watch for pickpockets. it is customary because of fact the vacationer bus and as such attracts them. the superb time to pass to St. Peter's Basilica is formerly 8:30 interior the morning (it opens at 7:00) or after 3:00 interior the afternoon. the rationalization is that early interior the morning, the excursion communities have not arrived yet. interior the afternoon, the excursion communities can no longer enter after 4:30 and so the line dies down around 3:00. savour your holiday.

Portofino, Camogli, Pisa, Assisi, San Gimignano, Sperlonga, Amalfi Coast, Sorrento, Capri, Taormina.

You've been all those place and haven't seen Pompeii?? I highly suggest visiting Pompeii and then hiking up to Mt. Vesuvius. I spent about 12 days in Italy (Rome, Naples, Pompeii, Palermo, Corleone, Agrigento, Mt. Etna, Taormina and Catania) Vesuvius and Pompeii was my favorite. In Agrigento which is in Sicily, there is the Valle del Templi and if you like hiking around and looking at that kind of stuff I'd suggest there. It definately would have been a big help to me in Sicily if I knew the language.

Turin (Winter Olympic games in 2006), Portofino and Le Cinque Terre in Liguria, Amalfi, Pompeii, Caserta( there is a great Royal palace with a wide garden and fountain falling down from a hill, The Palace in last Star Wars was that... check it out, it's really beautiful and it's also the birthplace of Buffala Mozzarella,the one real in italy)... and sardinia too is great in summer for seaside..really unique!

Assisi è una bella città!

I went to Europe this past summer and i have to say one of my favorite cities in all of Europe was Assisi. It was such a cozy little town that offers a beautiful view of the Italian countryside and it has a lot of great history. I am studying Italian now too and i will be spending a few months in Rome next year. Good luck and have fun!

Ciao!

Sounds like you will have enough time to hop on a flight over to Sardinia! The island is beautiful in the summer and the beaches are to die for! Meridiana flies right into Olbia and from there you can rent a car and explore the island. We lived on Lamaddalena for two years....I miss it very much, you will love it!

The south!!! the Mezzogiorno is beautiful, the climate is fantastic, the people are friendlier (no offense, I'm a Northerner myself but it's TRUE) and the fooooooood....

I suggest Salerno if you're into cities it has the best of everything - sea sun nightlife and so much more.

Sardinia is a nice Island or is it spelt serdignia ? Not sure but I spent 6 months there and I loved it, 6 months and I cant even spell it lol well it was over 15 years ago...enjoy