Will caffeine kill a unborn baby?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I m just wondering.. I love my diet coke.. nd my daily V. I m just wondering since i think i could be pregnant i should lay off em right? also if i am would i like have like damaged ...show more
Best Answer
I was a huuuuuuuge caffeine addict until I found out I was pregnant. I was even taking Vivarin pills (up to 3 a day!!). So I researched caffeine use and pregnancy heavily and pretty much what I came up with is that the biggest thing caffeine use affects is fertility. HOWEVER -- do know that caffeine does cross the placenta and can affect your baby, and the baby cannot metabolize it as quickly as you can. Therefore it stays bouncing around in his system longer (keeps his heartrate up, etc.). It also raises YOUR heartrate, which can cause preclampsia down the road (not something you want at all during pregnancy).

So, long story short -- yes it can affect your baby. Flat out kill him? No, probably not. But its not good for him. My suggestion would be limit yourself to one to two diet cokes a day, and leave it at that.

Whenever I still get tempted to have some caffeine, I always think "Is this REALLY worth having an unhealthy child??" and I quickly talk myself out of it. Plus the thought thats its only a temporary withdrawl.... 9 months without it isn't that long. At least thats what I tell myself.

Good luck with it!!

Source:

33 weeks pregnant with #1
  • 1
  • Comment

Other Answers (19)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • housemomagain answered 6 years ago
    A report came out a couple of days ago saying that caffeine does contribute to miscarriages. Be on the safe side and give it up completely. The report did not mention anything about birth defects caused by drinking caffeine. Put your mind at ease though and ask your doctor at your next appointment.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • deanna answered 6 years ago
    a recent study released suggests that if you get over 200mg of caffeine a day, your risk of miscarriage doubles. it would be a good idea to cut back on caffeine if you think you are pregnant. switch to caffiene free coke adn try to cut back on the V as well.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/st...
    • 2
    • Comment
  • Austin Is My World answered 6 years ago
    Research has shown high risk for miscarriage in the first trimester if you drink a lot of caffeine. I'm staying away from it now. Even though I'm out of my first trimester. Better to be safe than sorry.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • Johnna Riddell answered 6 years ago
    OKay... I am on my 3rd pregnancy and I DON'T drink caffeine at all... so my personal choice is none, Why? well, although it won't out-n-out KILL your unborn baby the affects of caffeine on a fetus can be extreme... it races tehir heart rate, affects the development of their lungs and can lower their birth weight.
    Second, I have been told By my OB doctor that One Can of Pop, or a 8oz. Cup of Coffee ONCE A DAY is okay, becasue the ammount is so mild.
    Thirdly, Energy drinkas a re a NO GO, those are VERY harmful... think about it, they are dangerous for preteens to drink many of, so... how would a fetus react.
    I know, trust me, especailly when you are pregnant you get SO tired and it's hard to not rely on that pick-me-up, but you have to do what's best for your baby.
    I would lay off the V's all together, and cut it down to one diet coke a day at the most. Eventually your body will be able to function and you will actually feel better. :) Promise. Besides it's only 9 months.

Source(s):

My opinion and Doctors Orders
    • 1
    • Comment
  • emily‚ô• answered 6 years ago
    It can cause misscarridge, but drinking only 1 a day will be fine :)
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Katherine Wheel answered 6 years ago
    Try caffeine free diet coke. Sorry...the V's will have to go!
    • 2
    • Comment
  • bigmommy240 answered 6 years ago
    the key is moderation and using good judgment....a soda or 2 a day isn't gonna cause harm to your baby....I'm 39 weeks with my 3rd baby and have continued to drink it and my babies are perfectly fine. if it really concerns you ...try caffeine free products.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Mommy Michelle answered 6 years ago
    Kill a baby? Probably not. however it can be harmful for the baby. You're speaking to a person who used to have anywheres from 5 to 6 coffees a day and loves her Pepsi. Once i found out I was pregnant I cut down to one to 2 coffees a day and at most 1 glass of Pepsi. My son ended up fine. The best person you should probably speak to would be your doctor to see what he advises you.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Kristen P answered 6 years ago
    they actually just came out with a new study that said even a little bit of caffeine can cause miscarriage. So what they were saying is a little is ok in pregnancy now they are going to change that. I drank caffeine when I was pregnant and I had a stillborn. I don't know if that's why, but still, its better to be safe than sorry right? When I get pregnant again I am NEVER drinking caffeine!!!
    • 1
    • Comment
  • leengbm answered 6 years ago
    I don't think you "damaged" your baby if you are pregnant, but as soon as you are sure, drink less of it, or even don't drink caffeine at all...
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

• Mirandamichelle answered 6 years ago
    I agree that caffeine in moderation is ok. I have a healthy nine week old and I drank two or three cokes a day for the entire pregnancy. I think that people go overboard these days. People have been having babies for centuries. My mom drank caffeine, smoked cigarettes, and probably much more and I was just fine. I agree that people should take care of themselves and cut out harmful things but don't go to the extreme. It will only cause your pregnancy to be miserable.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Pompey310106 answered 6 years ago
    Hello,

Please don't worry yourself, The worry you are putting yourself through will be worse for the baby than theeffects of a few cans of coke. There is very little that will harm your baby within the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, as the baby has it's own life line called a yolk sac so isn't yet living off of you.

You can get caffeine free diet coke so you could switch to that!

Government guidlines seem to be changing all of the time and making being pregnant really difficult and confusing. The new guide says that having just 2 cups of coffee a day can double a womans chance of miscarriage, whereas when I first fell pregnant it was fine to drink 2 cups or a certain amount of caffeine which had to include coke and chocolate.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • angeleyes_0613 answered 6 years ago
    they actually had this thing on the news 2 nights ago that any amount of caffiene is harmful to the baby. so start drinking caffiene free soda if you have to have ur soda.

Source(s):

news
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Vegan_Mom answered 6 years ago
    When I learned of my pregnancy, I was drinking one small pot (I have a personal four cup coffee maker) of coffee a day, maybe two and one diet cola a day. The diet soda was the only pure junk item I was still consuming on a regular basis. When I learned of my pregnancy, though, things changed. I started to mix half decaf and half regular coffee (more regular than decaf) and cut my sodas to just a few times a week. Eventually, I eliminated all soda, for the most part, from my diet. My husband wasn't happy about that only because we stocked up on caffeine free diet sodas (root beer, lemon lime, cola) and in February and March and moved several cases in August, on which I'm still working. Since soda is pure junk, I quickly decided that my baby did not need that. However, the diet Sierra Mist did help my heartburn, which was chronic my last month and a half. (Vanilla soy milk and natural diet Hansen's Ginger Ale also helped.)

Even during the first month and a half of my daughter's life, I still did half and half coffee just a few times a week. Actually, the first post-birth cup I had was two weeks and three days after she was born, as I had met with some friends at a local coffee house and treated myself to a cup of half and half. It wasn't until she was a couple of months old that I went back to a pot of regular coffee daily. In the evenings, when I want a hot drink, I make decaf, still, though a couple of times, it's been a full scoop (two tablespoons) and a about a tablespoon of decaf and about a tablespoon of regular.

For the most part, I stuck with whole, real foods during my pregnancy. There were a few times I compromised, eating stuff I wouldn't have touched otherwise, like white bread. I figured some food was better than nothing. I would then make up for it by eating some whole wheat bread later in the day.

When in doubt, ask your doctor.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • AV answered 6 years ago
    It won't kill your little one. Just have it in moderation, don't go overboard. :) Cut down, but you can still enjoy on occasion.
    What is the daily V you're talking about?

http://www.babycenter.com/0_caffeine-dur...
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Vada83 answered 6 years ago
    it wont kill your unborn child unless you drink ALOT of it. Caffiene in moderation is fine. If it wasnt I wouldnt be 5 months along with a baby that dances in my belly.

EVERYTHING in moderation is FINE. why on earth did I get a thumbs down. Because people listen to the media over their doctors now??

Women have been having heathly babies for centuries and all of sudden everything is bad for the baby? C'mon people. You are pregnant not on your death bed.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Kinynha answered 6 years ago
    The virtue in all things in life is the midle, drink with moderation, nothing will happen:)
    • 1
    • Comment
  • ROBIN T answered 6 years ago
    No, don't worry about it. I have three children and I drank coke all day the entire time I was pregnant with all three of them. My kids are fine.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • babyface answered 6 years ago
    Im not sure how serious the effects are but from my experience caffine doesnt have an effect. I drank coke and coffee through my pregnancy as i craved them, i now have a healthy 11week old little girl so i wouldnt worry 2much.
    • Rate
    • Comment

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock