can i afford a 200,000 dollar home?

my job tops out a 24$ and hour in 4years if i make 45,000$ and my wife will make 25,000 a year = 70,000 can i expect to get a loan for a 200,000 home maybe 5 to 10% down using FHA

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A good rule of thumb for establishing your house payment is: gross monthly - debts x 36% = house payment.

This Rule of Thumb is kinda from the old school of real estate, but I find that individuals that use it the will stay in a better financial position after they buy their home. Be smart….do not buy more home than you want to pay for. It is easy to fall in love with a house but the way to maintain that love is to be happy while you are paying for it.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

WHEN your job tops out at 24$ per hour and WHEN your wife makes 25k per year, THEN you will be able to get a loan for 200k. Until then...we dont have enough info to know. (Dont count your chickens before they hatch.)

• 1 decade ago

Sounds like your in!!..Just do a little homework, pay off debts, raise your score and save as much as you can......remember, 20% down usually elminates PMI ( mortgage insurance ) and reduces your monthly payment accordingly!......good luck & enjoy you new home!!

• 1 decade ago

Yes you should be fine, but if you have credit cards, try paying them off first. Shop around for best interest rates.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.