hoc20 asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 1 decade ago

Insurance: Better to start with a retail branch or go sell in people's homes?

I have sales experience, but no insurance sales experience. Which sales environment selling for someone like State Farm (branch) or New York Life (minus investment products, etc.) would you believe to build the best overall basis/skills for insurance sales? Which brings more overall job satisfaction (like to hear both view points)? What are the ups vs. downs? Which is more lucrative long-term? Any insight would be very helpful. Thank you!

Favorite Answer

selling an intangible like insurance is tough. of the two, life insurance sales is the toughest.

if it were me starting all over again, I'd go w/ the state farm opportunity (they also sell life by the way). here's why. no one requires anyone to own a life insurance policy. it is a much harder sale and much harder to keep on the books than property and casualty policies.

home, auto and business insurance is required in most instances. either the state or finance company or both require the owner of the property to purchase insurance. no insurance-no tags or car loan. no insurance-no mortgage. no insurance-no business loan or employees (work comp).

both kind of sales can be lucrative over the long term. insurance is like any other occupation, some people don't make a lot of money doing it, some make a good living and still others make quite a bit of money.

Source(s): insurance agent (p&c, life & health), 27 years

My thoughts on this would indeed involving the police. You need to go to your local police station, explain briefly your observations to the receptionist or duty officer, but also ask you wish to remain anonymous, and please do not accuse the manager of theft in front of them, just state what you have seen. You should then be seen by an officer who may decide if the case is worth taking on. As the manager knows you know, it would not be difficult for him to realise that it was you who reported his crime, and this may turn out awkward for you. The police will have ways to investigate whether a crime is been committed, and should be happy to work on your tip off. My advice therefore is to report it, with as much detail as you can, then forget it. Please do not discuss the matter with anyone else who works for the charity, as you may not know how many people could be involved, or how high up the ladder, so to speak, people are involved. Think you have been very brave to bring this to light, but now leave it to the professionals. I wish there were more people like you out there, and you have my most sincere thanks in taking action against what is a most disgusting crime, depriving the needy people who the charity helps. Well done, and you have a great day too, you deserve it. Thank you. Lets hope your actions and honesty brings results, and although nobody may ever know, you can be proud of what you did.

People don't walk in to buy - you have to chase them down in their homes, or drag them in kicking and screaming.

Insurance sales is HARD.

Source(s): agent, 21+ years