Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 decade ago

Did your parents ever have one of the first electric knives for carving roasts and turkeys and stuff?

Or did they just rely on the old fashioned cut it yourself knives?

Best Answer

Good ole fashion way.

I would be scared if it was electric. I would freak out.hehe.

It sounds crazy but true. I have a thing about knives.

When I was 10 I took a ham knife(butcher knife).

Being a stupid little kid trying to cut lemons with my friend. I didn't listen to her or my dad. Chopped the lemon, the knife went through the lemon & to my hand. I was lucky to have only 3 stitches.

Now I twitch every time I see sharp knives. How do ya think I would do with an electric one?hehe

That is so cute, I have to tell you a story about electric knives. My husband was set to carve the turkey with it, I kept the plastic over the blades until he was ready to carve, he tried to carve the turkey but just vibrated the meat off the poor thing, he failed to remove the protective shield....

They had an electric knife. It was brought out when the whole family of about 35 people had get togethers. My grandmother made huge turkey's and roasts. They work great, I got one at a bargain store where they sell used (it was never used and still in the original box) goodies! It is sharp and only cost $3.00. ♥

• Granny

Yes, we had one of the first electric knives. That's when dad really enjoyed cutting the turkey or roast. It was fun!

• Moe

They never did but, Yes, we had one, but I never did like it. Besides we usually only used it at Christmas or Thanksgiving to cut the ham or turkey. The rest of the time it just sat on the shelf and gathered dust. I preferred to use the old standard knife, myself. You seem to have more control in where and what you are cutting. rather than the butchering, hacking that the electric ones seemed to do.

My dad bought an electric knife in the '60's & used that to carve the turkey, roasts, chicken, ham, etc. Up until then, he used his favorite carving knife. I can still picture him sharpening that knife before he began his task of slicing the meat. Some visions stick with us always.

• judy b

I remember my folks having one. The only time they used it was on Thanksgiving or Christmas, but that only lasted a few years then they went back to using a knife you didn't have to plug in! Do they still make those electric knives?

The first electric knife. Now, I relay on the Deli to cut and carve my turkey for me. Have a good day.

I never use any electric knives. I have some good kitchen knives of Victorinox which would be good every kitchen operations. http://www.knifeindia.com/kitchen/kitchen-knives/s...

• Clare

My parents had one my dad used for holiday hams and turkeys. They do still sell them. I bought one a few months ago to use to carve foam rubber into cushions I could cover. They're prefect for cutting slabs of foam rubber!