Willie
Lv 4
Willie asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Why do African Americans vote overwhelmingly for the democratic party?

I have seen no legislation aimed at helping them for the past 30 years from the Liberals. African Americans are a very religious people yet support the party that is aginst religion. So why in every election do more than 90% of them vote for the Democrats?

Update:

A lot of answers saying that the Republicans are the party of the rich while the Democrats are the party of the Poor. Since this inequality in voteing has been happening since the early 1900's isn;t that reason to leave the Democrats? Useing the rich man, poor mans party the Democrats have kept afican americans in poverty for close to 50 years.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The democratic party is not a party against religion nor is it a party that has not done anything for numerical minorities in this country.

Black people were overwhelmingly supportive of the party of Lincoln up until John F. Kennedy's presidency in which the president publicly supported civil rights. Many of the urban leaders black and non-black shifted their political alliances and their followers did the same and stayed loyal for many years.

As time went on there seemed to be a shift in the values where people who were wealthier, regardless of ethnicity sided with the Republicans because they felt that the GOP protected their economic interests, as that grew dems painted themselves as people for the poor and middle class, see John Edwards' campaign. It just so happens that more black people fall into the middle class and poor areas, and that's the way they vote.

Now with things being the way they are, Black people are examining all parties and making choices based on what they think is good for them. Usually the only party that the media reports as still catering to the Black community is the democrats which is why it seems like we overwhelmingly vote democrat but that is not necessarily a given anymore. I myself have voted across party lines on a few occasions.

For those of you who have written flippant racist stereotypical comments, shame on you! pathetic.

Thank you for reading.

Source(s): know my history
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Not necessarily. Party affiliation is usually based more on socio-economic status than skin color. It just so happens that the majority of minorities happen to fall within the class that tends to be heavily Democratic. African Americans that are part of the Upper Class and would benefit from Republican rhetoric are going to vote Republican.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because they usually see the Republicans as the party of the rich, while Democrats are more likely to be seen as the party of the poor and working class. Personally, I don't see much difference at all. I think they both work for the rich.

• 1 decade ago

a pro worker party. it was heavy into government programs to get people working, think new deal. as time went on the party has become pro government think Johnson. it seems to be more of a traditionally thing. the republicans are consider big business, but have worked in the past on cutting taxes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Republicans have failed to show any concern for African Americans. Democrats offer little better solutions, but at least something.

• 1 decade ago

You are firmly mistaken! Willie check your history, at the turn of the century blacks not only were overwhelmingly Republicans they also were the majority in Congress and the house of Representatives. This was the way things were up until the twenties! So what happened? For another fifty years there were lynchings and hate crimes and the good Ole Party abandoned the same people who made their party what it is today! History will reveal that In the sixties and seventies blacks were not even allow on the Convention floor of either party! However, the Democratic Pary became the party that came to the aide of social injustice. Had this been the Republicans then we would not be having this conversation. So the real question should be why are blacks left out when it comes to power brokers blacks are view as low level bottom feeders. With the exception of George Bush who used Condeliza Rice there has never been a Republican Party Candidate other than coming from the grand state of Texas who recognized that blacks are more than servants in this world. We can and sometimes do make a difference in this world! I have been voting Independent for twenty years and I am not a registered Democrat. But as all whites believe black folks will sell their votes to any ole democrat for two chicken dinners and a "We shall overcome" song. This only proves that whites who as a voting majority and voted a mentally challenged Republican into office almost eight year's ago rather than a man of good moral character in the name of Al Gore. One could make the same assessment about whites huh? Now as for me I would rather use my vote and vote for the best man for the job! I voted for Ross Perot. George Bush Senior. And I am sorry to say Bill Clinton. Which when you think about the mess we as a country are in now, it doesn't leave much to be desired in the category of white candidates in this election now does it? It will however determine whether whites are going to do the usual polarizing and galvinizing to keep Obama out of office in the States where we can already see that he is having an impact on. Face it, racism has done more damage to this country than should have been allowed and is steadily on the rise as poverty among whites increases, blacks and not wealthy whites will get the blame for this economic mess! this is already being felt in michigan where the shrinking job market is impacting racial views and the law. Afirmative Action went under attack a year ago and was voted out of Michigan where it is needed more than in the state of MISSISSIPPI! Remember there were more lynchings in this state than in the south ! Once the job market is completely gone from tis state blacks will get the blame from poor whites who will also be in the streets seeking employment and expecting to get jobs based on priveleges of color rather than performance. But blame should be placed squarely on William Jefferson Clinton for signing this NAFTA Agreement for the rich to move jobs out of the country make more money and sell out the middle class and remove over 2million jobs to other country for the sake of Corporate profits and greed. Whites in this country are not going to wake up from their nightmarish race based mistakes until it's too late and their family's are destroyed in the same manner that black families are being targeted by courts police and politics today! Once the divide has affected their earning power, first race enters the picture and these "all black folks stick together" questions begin to surface. I will only tell you that historically whites continue to betray the black man and it really does not matter which party it is. But there is a developed trust by Democrats that is tested over the last forty years! Once the Republican Party stops using their attack dogs District Judges (Republican in number), the police and Stop jailing blacks for profit. We commit 37% of crimes in America but are receiving 95% of the sentences. Then you will see a change in this trend once again. There is no cure for hate xcept love. We all are Americans at the end of the day. However, it will take whites another 100 years and some serious self introspection to realize this fact! It's too bad that the best candidate in this election happens to be of mixed race. Now we will see for certain once again if the same holds true for whites! Will they vote as a bloc to circumvent the more obvious choice or rather put another Dynasty of the Clintons back in office to keep things as they are. Namely, the destruction of the middle class which includes all of us!

• Dr. D
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

They vote Democrat because they see themselves has the disenfranchised. They believe the Republicans only care for the rich. And they see their best hope in the Democratic Party. What they are looking for is entitlements, and that will not come from the Republicans. Republicans believe that everyone should take care of themselves, while Democrats promise the government will take care of you.

I heard one black man speaking to young blacks telling them to vote Democratic, because "the rich will take care of themselves".

• 1 decade ago

Not your answer, but a fact - it was the democratic party prodomnantly in the south that wanted to keep slavery and faught a war to do so, while the Repbulican party (lead by Abraham Lincoln, wanted to end slavery, and fought to do so. Just something to think about.

• 1 decade ago

It is because republicans are all about helping the rich people and n0t giving a sh*t about the poor. The democrats are people trying to make a better life for the poor/middleclass americans.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because, since the 1960s, conservative legislation (and reputation) never honestly reflects or promotes programs for the lower-class. In this regard, Republicans have always been "all talk, no action."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.