Bonds, Common stock and Prefered stock?

I need help for my Investment class assignment. The lecturer wants us to submit the characteristics of

i) Bonds

ii)Common Stock

iii)Prefered Stock

If you can give me the source, it will be better. Thanks.

By the way, I've checked Wikipedia already

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Bonds are just loans (debt) and have a fix maturity date when the company has to pay back the bonds.

Common stock and preferred stock are equity and represent partial ownership in a company. Common stock holders receive their share of the profits and losses from the company in proportion to the number of shares they own.

Preferred stock is a bit different from common stock. Preferred stock is a hybrid of common stock and bonds. Almost all preferred stock have a fixed dividend rate (like the interest from bonds). Dividends must be paid to preferred stock before they can be paid to common stock. Like common stocks but unlike bonds. preferred stocks do not have a maturity date, so the company never has to pay back the money it got from investors.

Unlike common stock and like bonds, preferred stock usually have no voting rights.

In accounting rules, the interest a company pays counts as a cost. Companies pay interest before paying taxes. In contrast, the dividends paid to preferred stock holders are after tax, which isn't very tax efficient and do not count as cost or expense. Issuing preferred stock instead of bonds results in lower costs (in accounting sense), better profit margins as a result of lower costs, and thus, better earnings.

In bankruptcy court, bond holders and creditors rank among the highest, with common stock holders having the lowest rank. Preferred stock rank just above common stock. This means when a bankrupt company is liquidated, proceeds (if any) must first be paid to the people whom the company owes money to (includes employees, IRS, and bond holders) before the money goes to the stock holders (owners). Preferred stock holders may receive some money but common stock holders usually receive none.

In the U.S. under a tax cut act, most people pay less taxes on dividends than interest income. Most pay 15% on dividend income while interest income is taxed as regular income tax, as high as 35%. Corporations receive special tax benefits on preferred stock dividends.

Source(s): some of this comes from Motley Fool
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

No. favourite inventory has extra useful guarantees on the pay out... (in financial ruin favourite receives paid earlier worry-free, etc) so there's a lot less volitility contained in the cost of favourite inventory as compared to worry-free inventory. favourite inventory acts extra like a bond because it truly is what some favourite inventory is... a reported pastime personal loan. some favourite stocks are specifically to regulate possession contained in the corporation... and those at the prompt are not generally up on the marketplace. diverse features so that they do no longer fluxuate quickly with one yet another.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.