dual citizenship?

is it possible to be a dual citizen in America?. im a Canadian citizen right now but have been living here all my life. i heard you cant get dual citizenship because when you become a citizen of the US you have to swear allegiance and give up your other citizenships. i heard from others that you can get dual citizenship. can someone clarify please. anyone have any experience?

Favorite Answer

The answer depends on who you are talking to. If you don't tell the American government, they don't care. If you do, they will usually tell you that you can't however they can't really enforce it unless we were to reinstate a draft or something. The drawbacks are that you could get stuck owing taxes to Canada and the US and if you travel overseas and something bad happens, the US Embassy will be less inclined to help you out if you have dual citizenship.

EDIT: And it is perfectly acceptable to refer the US as America. People know what you are talking about. I call the US "America" all the time, as we are the United States "of America." I have never referred to myself as a United Statsian and I don't think anyone else has either.

You can become a naturalized citizen without renouncing your Canadian citizenship. The chances of the dual citizenship hamporing you are negligible unless you decide to work in a job that would require a government security clearance.

When you are sworn in as a citizen of the US, you swear to "renounce all other allegiances".

But... many countries simply don't have any legal mechanism for ceasing to be a citizen.

In the UK, for example, if you're born a British citizen, you die a British citizen. Nothing either you or the government does can change that. You can "renounce" your British citizenship to be sworn in as an American citizen, and then go straight to the British embassy and get a new British passport.

Kim Philby, the Soviet spy in MI5, used to go to the British Embassy in Moscow every 10 years and renew his British Passport even while wanted for treason. (His Passport, of course, would be stamped "Valid ONLY for travel to the United Kingdom".... not that he ever went back.)

Richard

I don't know about Canada, but the US allows dual citizenship. It doesn't matter which you get first. The US citizenship oath contains a clause that says that you are giving up allegiance to other countries, etc. etc., but it's just symbolic. As a practical matter, you can keep your other citizenships.

i don't know for sure about Canada, but the United States does allow dual citizenships. if that was what you were talking about, because America is A LOT of countries, North America, South America, Latin America, but I'm assuming United States.

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question. My suggestion would be to contact the Embassy. As for R1 whatever's answer, no, Canada is not in America, like Mexico, it is in North America. 'America', the beautiful, is and always will be the United States. Sssupp, you fail history or geography, or both?

• r1b1c*

Canada is IN America, think you mean the United States not America, America and the US of A are NOT the same thing.