who verifies what snopes claims, what makes that site the expert on anything and everything?

just curious, it seems to be that everyone thinks this site is the golden rule of anything, i'm skeptical that one place knows everything about anything,

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

According to the Snopes FAQs, the people who run the site verify the information they post.

Q. Who creates the material for this site?

A. With very few exceptions, all of the material on this site is prepared by the same people who operate this site, Barbara and David Mikkelson.

Q. How do i know the information you've presented is accurate?

A. We don't expect anyone to accept us as the ultimate authority on any topic, which is why our site's name indicates that it contains reference pages. Unlike the plethora of anonymous individuals who create and send the unsigned, unsourced email messages that are forwarded all over the Internet, we show our work. The research materials we've used in the preparation of any particular page are listed in the bibliography displayed at the bottom of that page so that readers who wish to verify the validity of our information may check those sources themselves.

http://www.snopes.com/info/faq.asp

I'm sure that errors are occasionally made, but considering they provide their references so people can check things for themselves seems to be a fairly good indication their info can be trusted. At least as far as the referenced sources go. If the references are bogus... :-)

wwbgd

• 5 years ago

If snopes said the sky is blue I'd still have to look outside and see. They've been proven wrong/biased many times.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.