Do you think that drinking at the age of 21 years of age is still too young?

Favorite Answer

It depends on the person, some people should never drink.

No. Physically, people are fully formed by age 21, though the are still developing in their teens. Drinking during the teen years is not a good idea, if done in any sizeable amount. After 21, though, it will not do significant harm unless abused. Part of that development during the teen years reduces the likelihood of developing an addiction, unless exposed in quantity.

What your question means and what you didn't explicity say is whether Americans can handle drinking at 18, 19, 20, or some other age under 21.

The answer here is a simple no, but. It's obvious that on a whole, there are far too many underage drinkers causing problems -- what reason do we have to suspect that they would instantly be responsible and no more harmful than the people 21+ if they were allowed to drink at a bar, or purchase booze at a store? There is no evidence that our current generation has such capability (I am 22, so I understand how high school and college freshman handle drinking now).

But... I think a LARGE reason that underage drinkers take their drinking to such extremes is because of a few reasons. The first is that it is illegal, and thus they want to know why. The second is that nobody actually teaches you how to drink in this country. Everyone learns about drinking on the spot, with a drink in hand and a couple friends at a party that don't know what they're doing either. It is little surprise that these kids would be through a bottle of vodka before long, passed out on the lawn, bent over into a telephone pole puking on themselves.

No, I don't think 21 is too young. I think that American parents should teach their children about drinking before they learn for themselves. As a whole, US parents do very very little parenting. They have an attitude that the schools should do it for them, and that government should help regulate what they kids do, see, watch, hear, and learn. I'm willing to bet if instead of making alcohol out to be a pure evil, parents told their kids why people drink, what they drink, and let them try some of their drinks in their early teens it would be different. Instead of chugging a bottle of vodka at 17, they would be sipping a beer at 14/15 with their parents. They won't get destroyed, and they'll understand control. W/e, just my 2 cents.

No, I think that 18 should be the proper age. You are old enough to vote at 18, old enough to serve in the military and old enough to get married and have children (though you can have children at a lot younger). Those are three of the BIGGEST choices you can make in life. Drink should be one of them.

The facts show that when the drinking age was raised to 21 it didn't solve any problems, in fact it caused more. It makes 18-20 year old adults hide their alcohol consumption reducing their proper education about its use. And don't give me that crap about drunk driving incidents. The DD rate has been on a steady decline since 1977. Seven years before the 1984 act. Over all DD accidents are down 21% nationally and only 17% in the 18-20 year old group.

If we allowed adults, and yes at 18 you are an adult, to consume alcohol and promoted a national education program it would solve many of the problems faced by drinkers. Furthermore, statistics also prove that when children are educated about alcohol from an early age they have fewer problems with it at a later date.

What makes the most sense is that much like guns (which you can also purchase at 18), driving and voting... we should have a national licensing service. After an education program you get a permit and later drinking license. If you mess up (drunk driving etc) to many times you can lose your permission to drink until 21 or for an amount of time.

I don't think that age has so much to do with it, rather than control of the substance.

I lived in Italy and they have cigarette vending machines on the streets, like ATMs. But you don't see that many, say 14, year olds smoking. Rather, they are outside kicking soccer balls all over the place. Why? Because their parents would kill them if they caught them smoking. So the parents control the substance.

The legal drinking age is 16 there too. Drinking is not a big deal in many other cultures. When I was there I would often see a parent give their kid a taste of wine, but would not fill the glass up. So there was some regulation.

The most important thing is educating people on the dangers of substance abuse and driving while intoxicated.

Here is an interesting site that discusses all of this:

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/LegalDrinkingAge....

where i live the legal age of drinking is 19. I find it's too young, even 21 is still too young. If it was up to me I would change it to around 25. I find there's too much people that are too imature to drink. I'm 20 years old and i dont see the point in drinking. I got drunk before and I hated it. It mostly just make you look stupid.

I agree with Sungrl18 to an extent... some ppl can handle the drinking age at 18 years old ..especially those Americans fortunate enough to go overseas. But also remember that the guys that get sent over seas have a military career to take into account and can suffer serious repercussions from their command if they mess up. Also, usually those guys are more mature than the average 18 year old civilian living in the states. On the contrary, as Military Police I have seen more than my fair share of alcohol related incidents. Most of the incidents we responded to out in town over seas involved younger Americans who had had too much to drink.

It all comes down to the maturity level of that particular person. Myself..I was very mature at 18, 17 even 16 yet some of my peers were not. Now that I am past the legal drinking age and compare with people my age, I wonder why the age limit has not gone past 21 to legally drink.

All b/s aside...depends on the person. But, who are we to decide who is mature/not mature enough to drink?

In Canada it is legal to drink at 19 years of age..in the states it's 21. I keep hearing of kids at a younger age drink anyways, so that "magic" number of when one can legally drink is totally tossed aside.....

Ugh, I give up!

People that want to drink are going to drink, whether the legal age is 21, 25, or 74

I had been drinking or tasting drink since I was 12 years old, I'm not addicted or anything, I think by that age you should have a good judgement to not get trashed but a casual drink is ok. So no I think it's a good age.

I would think it's a little too old. I live overseas and the buying age is 18. There are not nearly as many problems over here with alcohol related incidents as there are in the states. Maybe if people didn't make such a big fuss over it, it wouldn't be so bad. Moderation is always important though.

No. it's 18 here and it's fine. The problem is with bits of kids drinking well below age. They will do so,no matter what the legal age limit is