What is difference between the science fiction genre and the fantasy genre?

thanks

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

"Fantasy is a genre that uses magic and other supernatural forms as a primary element of plot, theme, and/or setting. The genre is usually associated with the overall look, feel and themes of the European Early Middle Ages, while the actual setting is often a fictional plane or planet where magic and magical beings are commonplace.

Fantasy is generally distinguished from Science Fiction and Horror by the expectation that it steers clear of technological and macabre themes, respectively, though there is a great deal of overlap between the three (collectively known as speculative fiction)."

Science Fiction is something that is based on what we know to be fictitious data. The ability to travel at warp speed, time travel, outer space, etc.

"In a galaxy far, far away..."

Examples: Star Trek, Star Wars, Dune, War of the Worlds, The Matrix

Fantasy is more the imaginary. It is more mystical, like a fairytale. Wizards, enchanted forests, trolls, etc.

"In the realm once ruled by..."

Examples: Neverending Story, Princess Bride, Willow, Wizard of Oz, Pan's Labryinth

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Science Fiction is usually something more technological, think Star Wars, Star Trek... Fantasy is more Swords 'n Sorecerey kind of stuff, think The Lord of the Rings

• 1 decade ago

Science fiction deals with the interaction between characters and technology, whether real technology or a world of imagined extrapolations of technology. Fantasy fiction deals with characters interacting with the supernatural.

• 1 decade ago

In science fiction they offer a scientific or science-based explanation for the things they do and things that happen. In fantasy, just when it seems everyone will die, they pull some Magic Balloon of Hoodwink out of their pocket and all fly away.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Kim H
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

science fiction deals with things that are futuristic, space, time travel, aliens, and/or the story is set in the future, also things that could be possible in the future , scientific

ex. star wars, star trek , dune, stargate, war of the worlds, journey to the center of the earth , 20,000 leagues under the sea

fantasy has dragon, elves, fairies,..other creature like those ,

king Arther stories(Merlin-wizard) , knights and castles-with fantasy creatures-and/or in a fictional setting , mythology, magical

most likely won't happen in the future

ex. lord of the rings , harry potter , wizard of oz, eragon, dragon rider , inkheart,

hope this helps! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction

• 1 decade ago

Sci fi tends to deal with what the future may be like.It tends to lead towards the development of advanced technology and the changing of many of the species that we know today. While the fantacy just tends to deal with the fairies and goblinds of what some child fairy tales might deal with and the princesses and prince living happily ever after. These stories are usually based in medevil england.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I always thought (and keep in mind that this is only my opinion) that Fantasy was a type (or sub-group) of Sci-Fi.

Fantasy is generally something that takes place in a world that - to our knowledge - doesn't currently exist, or couldn't realistically exist (Third World, Hogwarts, etc.). Fantasy has:

- creatures (unicorns)

- acts (people jumping up and flying on their own, like Superman)

- and/or objects (magic lamp with a genie inside)

...that are non-existent to our world.

• 1 decade ago

Science fiction tends to deal with the future while fantasy deals with dragons, elves, goblins, etc.

• 1 decade ago

Fantasy has to do with things that cannot be easily explained by science and aren't probable to happen in the future. (ogres, fairies, fountain of youth)

Sci-Fi has to do with things supported by science that seem to us to be pure magic in this century. (teleporting, traveling at light speed in space, traveling to other galaxies)

Hope this helps!

• 1 decade ago

Although I have not tracked down where he said it, I believe it was Arthur C. Clarke who said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." The boundary between SF and fantasy seems to lie somewhere between comprehensible technology and technology which is not comprehended. And this is primarily in the mind of the reader, as guided by the writer: the same story might be SF if told from the point of view of a "wizard" who uses technology to produce his results, and fantasy if told from the perspective of an acquaintance of that wizard who only perceives them as "magic."

One noted fantasy author once utilized "fantasy" simply to fill a gap in the terminology he required:

'For my present purpose I require a word which shall embrace both the Sub-creative Art in itself and a quality of strangeness and wonder in the Expression, derived from the Image: a quality essential to fairy-story. I propose, therefore, to arrogate to myself the powers of Humpty-Dumpty, and to use Fantasy for this purpose: in a sense, that is, which combines with its older and higher use as an equivalent of Imagination the derived notions of "unreality" (that is, of unlikeness to the Primary World), of freedom from the domination of observed "fact," in short of the fantastic.'

--- J.R.R. Tolkien, in "On Fairy-stories"

I think Tolkien's definition is roughly similar to mine, in that the use of understood technology to produce 'magic' reduces it to the 'domination of observed "fact"' to which he refers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.