Lori K
Lori K asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

Federal Grand Juries are begining to convict those who aid and harbor illegal aliens. Is this a good thing?

According to the article, she was convicted in a jury trial and can get 10 years in federal prison without possibility of parole. Is this a step in the right direction?

A federal jury has convicted a Monett woman for harboring and hiring illegal immigrants employed at a Barry County poultry processing plant raided by federal authorities last May.

Jurors on Jan. 15 found Dora Ruiz, 33, guilty of harboring an illegal alien and inducing an illegal alien to enter or reside in the United States, according to a U.S. Attorney’s Office news release. Ruiz formerly worked in the human resources department at George’s Processing Inc. plant in Butterfield, north of Cassville. George’s is based in Springdale, Ark.

On May 22, about 100 officers with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the Social Security Administration Office of Inspector General, U.S. Marshals Service and the Missouri Highway Patrol served search warrants at the plant in connection with an investigation into alleged identity fraud and employment of illegal immigrants. Officers arrested 136 people believed to be in the country illegally; 28 were later criminally charged with immigration and identity theft offenses.

Evidence at the trial indicated that Ruiz assisted George’s employees by completing their Employment Eligibility Verification I-9 forms and translating from English to Spanish. Prosecutors said that Ruiz knew many employees were illegal immigrants who used fraudulently obtained Social Security numbers and identity documents in order to get jobs at the plant.

Another former George’s HR employee – 23-year-old Sinthia Valadez-Ramirez – also pleaded guilty Jan. 8 to aiding and abetting others to commit aggravated identity theft, according to the release.

“These convictions mark an important development in our continued commitment to pursuing employers who knowingly hire illegal aliens,” John Wood, U.S. attorney for the Western District of Missouri, said in the release.

Under federal statutes, Ruiz faces a sentence of up to 10 years in federal prison without parole.

http://www.sbj.net/article.asp?aID=11569519.512035...

I can already tell I'm going to have a very difficult time picking a best answer. There are just so many good ones here.

Favorite Answer

If the government had started enforcing this law in 1986 as they promised, we would not have 20-30 million illegals here today. Once people get the idea that they can go to jail for ten years they will stop hiring illegals and the illegals will go home all by themselves. Attrition by enforcement. Wow!!! what a concept, actually enforcing the law. We just need to get it done before our traitorous politicians grant them amnesty.

Is it a good thing to punish people who aid and protect terrorists, murderers, burglars, rapists, shoplifters, or any other criminal? Does anyone have the right to decide which law should or shouldn't be followed or to aid and protect a criminal who breaks a law they disagree with? I may think child molesting isn't a crime. Will you protect me? I may think driving over the speed limit isn't a crime. Will you protect me? Which crime will you protect me from? How will you aid me in breaking a law? America is a country dependent on law-abiding citizens. When that changes, buy a gun - a big gun.

I think that this is marvelous news. It's about time they made these people responsible for what they've done. I have no sympathy for people who abuse our system and expect to get a slap on the hands. It's time to enforce these laws! I just want to hear that more and more are being punished for this.

Source(s): FUWI

illegal immigrants who used fraudulently obtained Social Security numbers and identity documents in order to get jobs there can be no excuse I need a better life with they resort to fraud.

• dlk

Yes, if they knowingly hired said illegals, yes. The laws have been on the books since the 1980's folks. They were "warned". Seems to me from the above, that they actually knew "more" than just the hiring of illegals.

I think it's great. This isn't NEW.....just finally enforcing what's been on the books all along. Just unfortunate it's been allowed to go in this long. This "problem" has plenty of toes that need some serious stomping in all sorts of areas.

yes it is a good thing especially because of the identity theft they raided in south Carolina 66 out of 100 had SS# of us citizens so some day when you go to collect your social security you may find some one is drinking his tequila on you

• Suze

I'm with you ^

Anything is a GOOD move in the RIGHT direction when dealing with enforcement of AMERICAN LAWS.

WHY should illegals be immune while Americans are the only ones on earth held accountable for anything?

It is a WONDERFUL thing! I can't wait until all courts are doing the same. I hope they don't let them off with a fine though, six months in jail for the first offense seems ok huh?

Yes - it makes my day. I hope she gets 10 years!