How long does an iPod video conversion take?

I want to know because I've been ripping DVDs for my iPod. The only problem is that I've been trying to convert Napoleon Dynamite to iPod, and it's taken over 10 hours. How long do these usually last, and how can I speed up the process (if there's a way)? Thanks, your answers are always appreciated!

I'd also like to mention that I used the iTunes movie dimensions (640x272 pixels) and the ".m4v" format when I was ripping

I'm using an iMac with an 2 GHZ Intel Core Duo processor.

Favorite Answer

Hi Lucifer Sam,

Are you talking about converting a DVD to an MPEG-4? I've used HandBrake and it does take a long time to convert formats, in the neighborhood of many hours. It could take as long as 10 hours or more to convert a two hour movie.

Naturally, it depends upon the size of the image and how sharp the quality is, but it does take a long time to convert. However, once you've got your MPEG-4, you can import it into iTunes and then from there, to your iPod for posterity.

Best of luck.

--Rick

Depends on many things. It depends on your processor speed, memory, hard drive space and length of the file. If your computer is over 2 or 3 years old, you are correct, it can take up to 10 hours or more. If this a priority for you, you may want to investigate getting a computer with a newer dual core processor which is perfect for tasks like that. I have built them for friends between 3 and 5 hundred dollars for normal pcs and 7+ for gamer pcs.

It depends on the movie some programs will take longer then others but iwould say that 10 hours is a little crazy, the normal amount of time should be about 2-5 hours max

Try Free Video to Ipod converter without spyware, by the way

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-Vide...

I use Videora Ipod Video Converter and it takes about 5 hours for a one hour video...

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/

That link you can download this program I am talking about...

asa