Who wrote "The Road To Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions"?

I'm stumped! I cant find this answer anywhere! Please help!

Favorite Answer

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

Johnson said something close, but he was following in others' footsteps. In Boswell's Life of Johnson, in an entry marked April 16, 1775, Boswell quotes Johnson as saying (on some other occasion), "Hell is paved with good intentions." Note, no prefatory "the road to..." Boswell's editor, Malone, added a footnote indicating this is a 'proverbial sentence,' and quoting an earlier 1651 source (yet still not in the common wording).

Robert Wilson, in the newsgroup alt.quotations, provided two other sources prior to Johnson. John Ray, in 1670, cited as a proverb "Hell is paved with good intentions." Even earlier than that, it's been attributed to Saint Bernard of Clairvaux (1091-1153), as "Hell is full of good intentions or desires." Just how it got to the road to Hell being paved this way, and not Hell itself, I don't know.

• CiCi

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

[1855 H. G. Bohn Hand-Book of Proverbs 514]

"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions." John Ray (1670) ,credits &stated year QUOTED ON RIVERWORLD OF THE DAMNED®---CREDITED DATE/YEAR & AUTHOR WAS185 YEARS PRIOR TO BOHN!!!---SEE http://www.donnadreamland.citymax.com/page/page/92...

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): wrote quot road hell paved good intentions quot: https://biturl.im/6OW0Z

I have always known it as "The Way to Hell is paved..."

H. G. Bohn

10 pnts!

(woot woot)