Who wrote "The Road To Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions"?

I'm stumped! I cant find this answer anywhere! Please help!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

Johnson said something close, but he was following in others' footsteps. In Boswell's Life of Johnson, in an entry marked April 16, 1775, Boswell quotes Johnson as saying (on some other occasion), "Hell is paved with good intentions." Note, no prefatory "the road to..." Boswell's editor, Malone, added a footnote indicating this is a 'proverbial sentence,' and quoting an earlier 1651 source (yet still not in the common wording).

Robert Wilson, in the newsgroup alt.quotations, provided two other sources prior to Johnson. John Ray, in 1670, cited as a proverb "Hell is paved with good intentions." Even earlier than that, it's been attributed to Saint Bernard of Clairvaux (1091-1153), as "Hell is full of good intentions or desires." Just how it got to the road to Hell being paved this way, and not Hell itself, I don't know.

• CiCi
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

[1855 H. G. Bohn Hand-Book of Proverbs 514]

• 1 decade ago

"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions." John Ray (1670) ,credits &stated year QUOTED ON RIVERWORLD OF THE DAMNED®---CREDITED DATE/YEAR & AUTHOR WAS185 YEARS PRIOR TO BOHN!!!---SEE http://www.donnadreamland.citymax.com/page/page/92...

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Who wrote "The Road To Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions"?

I'm stumped! I cant find this answer anywhere! Please help!

Source(s): wrote quot road hell paved good intentions quot: https://biturl.im/6OW0Z
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

I have always known it as "The Way to Hell is paved..."

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

H. G. Bohn

10 pnts!

(woot woot)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.