Mossberg 185K-A?

I Recentley found my grandpa's Mossberg 185K-A. It seems to be In REALLY good condition. Are these Shotguns worth anything these days? I'm not going to sell it but was wondering if I should put it up as a Collectors item or use it as it was ment too? What can I shoot out of it?(slugs,bird shot,buck)

It's Deffinenty a 20ga. It is Bolt Action which is pretty sweet. I don't know if it has a 4 shot mag or a 2 shot. The mag sits flush with the stock. It has a choke on it. What does the Modifed and all that mean?

• JD
    Favorite Answer

Mossberg Model 185K-A Bolt Action Shotgun, 20 Gauge, 2 Shot Magazine, 2 3/4" Magnum, Screw In or Select Choke Manufactured 1947-1959

Very Good to Excellent Condition $75-$150 (Max)

These Mossbergs don't have any Collectors value, but they are great "Shooter" shotguns.You can shot most any Birdshot, and you can shoot Buckshot if the Adjustable Choke is opened to the Improved Cylinder setting. If the choke on your shotgun is a Select Choke that you turn to adjust from the "outside" I would recommend you DO NOT shoot Slugs thru it. If it is not set correctly, you can literally shoot the choke off of the end of the barrel.....Enjoy

*Navyjoy8..I have no idea what you are using for a reference, but you are not even close. I think you have your information confused. The Mossberg 185 K-A was NEVER a Law Enforcement Shotgun, nor was there ever a large capacity magazine made and this particular model Mossberg, has NO Collectors value. They came with a 2 shot factory Magazine......Sorry

EDIT.The Choke refers to the adjustable choke tube mounted on the end of your shotgun barrel. You can turn it to adjust the lead shot patterns to make the actual shot patterns larger or smaller depending on what you are hunting. The Choke concentrates these shot patterns .....It should have markings on it that say Full, Modified, and Improved Cylinder.Full= The tightest Shot Patterns, Modified= Slightly more open patterns, Improved Cylinder= No choke at all, like having a regular barrel with no choke. The "Choke" is adjusted to match the type of game animal you are hunting for.FYI..You have a 2 shot magazine as I advised earlier

Source(s): Firearms Appraiser & Collector-Antiques & Military Weapons Gunsmith/Gun Shop Owner-Broker-Dealer 36 Years Firearms Experience

that was my first shotgun after my mom's old 410 single shot. I see a fair amount of them in the used gun rack, usually about $80 for an old beater, and $120 for a good one. I suppose a truely mint one in excellent new in box type condition would fetch $1500-$200 to the right guy.

It might have removable external chokes, I don't remember if those are Ks or Ds or what kind of 185, Look to see if the tip of the barrel is threaded and if you can screw the choke all the way off. It can shoot slugs, birdshot, and buck, but for slugs I'd make sure to remove the choke. The choke is a constriction on the barrel, if it is a tight small hole it makes the birdshot clump up more for a bit more long range performance but a slug needs a big hole to fit safely through, so make sure you unscrew it off, or open it up as wide as possible if it is perminantly attached

Go ahead and use it hard, just remember to clean and oil it, and it will last until your grandkids are ready to start shooting.

Its collectable. Treat this lettle beauty with care. As parts become more hard to find and very expensive when you do find them I would not try and use it. This weapon is a bolt action, 20gauge made prior to 1968, right? The factory magazine holds 2 rounds, and was advertised as a "3 shot repeater" -or in other words, bird shot.

Mossberg made a very small run of 395 Law Enforcement shotguns that featured 4 shot magazines but I think finding one of those magazines would cost you an amount of money that would purchase a whole 395 shotgun!

In other words, there were larger capacity magazines made and they are now considered more collectable than the guns.

Bluebook-50-150 depending on condition! just shoot the $hit out of it. have fun

Source(s): By they way I just looked it up! guns and gun parts is my buisness/if the dude who said its worth 600 will pay that much sell it to him. i am sure gramps would agree

that gun is worth, about 600.00 A merican dollars read on the barrell to see what gauge it shoots then use that gauge only maybe 12 gauge or 20 gauge check before shooting.

• Hey! You're going to want instructions first! Dang! Duh! I don't want you to get hurt! You need instructions first! Sorry.

that is sweet