Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

Is "Jane" some type of rock music icon?

Ive heard many songs refer to the name jane including Breaking Benjamin with the song Diary of Jane, The band Diary of Jane, and in the beginning of the song Bullet with Butterfly wings by Smashing Pumpkins. Is this just a coincidense or is this the name of some type of symbol, icon, or anything else?

I said the band diary of jane on accident lol i ment Janes Addiction lol

• ak6702
    Favorite Answer

Ok kiddies lets start your rock music class 101.

First off when most bands mention JANE in a song title or band name(Jane's Addiction) it usually means HERION!

For isnstance Sweet Jane by Lou Reed(Look him up on the wiki if your to young to recall him.)

Trouble with the sweet stuff-Billy Idol

Oh that smell-Lynard Skynrd

When a band talks about SWEET JANE it means pot,weed,ganji!

Al la Sweet leef By Black Sabbath

Mary Jane by Love/Hate.

The Mary Jane Girls with Rick James.

I hope you all get a A on the pop quiz.

Elvis Presley...without a doubt. He has been dead for over 25 years and had a top ten hit just 5 years ago (A little less conversation)...he is a true icon - longevity and innovation and one of the most well known figures ever. Gene Simmons and KISS rock, but they don't match the staying power and enduring appeal of Elvis.

You forgot Sweet Jane by Lou Reed and Lady Jane by the Stones.

• interesting ? never thought about it though there's quite a few songs with reference to Jane... Aerosmith, Janie's got a gone...

the only jane I can think of is "Mary Jane" as in mariguana.. think about Rick James and the "mary jane girls"... lol

not sure if that's what it's about so, I'm sorry for throwing it in there. I don't have a clue what it refers to... good luck on your quest...

take care everyone.

Also Songs for Jane by Maroon 5?

I don't know, it's just a name.

What about Jane's Addiction?

And don't forget the song "Jane" by Jefferson Starship.

It does seem to be one of the more frequently used names in rock n' roll.. perhaps because it fits easily into rhyming situations.

Yeah, I think that it's shorthand for maryjane (marijuana), not that I think that is a bad reason. Could also be referring to Ms Fonda, who was herself an icon of the 60's and 70's.

Another Jane song:

"Janie's Got a Gun" - Aerosmith

there's also a Rod Stewart song called ''Baby Jane'' and a L.A.Guns song called ''The Ballad Of Jayne''.......for some reason I believed some of the songs were refering to a nickname for Marilyn Monroe , but I can not recall why I thought that

• Jay

I always thought it was just because it's a sorta common, ambiguous female name, and bands often use it as a alias for the girl that they're actually writing about.