How do u tell if the baby has "dropped"?

My doctor says it will feel like you have a bowling ball between your legs, I feel a little pressure down there but I dont think she has dropped because of the position she is in. sideways with head down(back facing my right side, legs and face facing my left side). I am almost 35 weeks, how do u tell when they... show more My doctor says it will feel like you have a bowling ball between your legs, I feel a little pressure down there but I dont think she has dropped because of the position she is in. sideways with head down(back facing my right side, legs and face facing my left side). I am almost 35 weeks, how do u tell when they have dropped, when do they usually drop and how long after you drop do u usually go into labor? If someone could answer these that would be great!
Update: i have a doctor appointment tomarrow but I think I would feel sort of stupid if i asked her if she had dropped, I mean can they drop and the cervix still be high up? and has anyone have their baby drop and the baby be in the position mine is in? i mean can she drop while she is in that position?