Just.Me asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Underweight or Overweight - Which is HEALTHIER?!?

I'm about 10 lbs UNDERWEIGHT. I'm wondering if being a couple pounds underweight is healthier than being obese?

Favorite Answer

Ask yourself this: Why do you think it's called being UNDERweight and OVERweight, neither is healthy.

EDIT: leavelil2, it's 20% above normal weight for obesity, not 20 pounds...

well neither underweight of overweight is good i suppose, but people can be classed as overweight if they have a lot of muscle mass... as long as you are healthy and get enough exercise i wouldnt worry. if you do decide to gain do it by building up muscle. i think being a little underweight is definitely better than being obese though..

I would say both are very bad for you.

Underweight means you are depriving your body of essential nutrients.

It will not matter to you now, but say after ten years being underweight or overweight will get you in to a hell lot of diseases.

Why dont you try to be just normal????

overweight- this sounds crazy but if i were to pick one overweight anyday- for your immune system, and strengh factor- you cant donate blood-you look like a little kid, being underweight sets you up for ammenia amoung other dieseses- BUT theres a difference between overweight and obese... Obese is terrible because of the whole heartattack highblood pressure stuff.

good luck either way!

I would think so, coming from being obese myself some 80lbs and currently losing. There are far great health problems such as diabetes, heart disease, and so forth. If you were extremely underweight like an anorexia maybe, but I don't think you have a problem a lot of people would rather be in your shoes, like me LOL.

obese is not just overweight it is 20+ lbs overweight. so i would say it is better to be slightly overweight than underweight.

Your BMI is 21 which is on the low end of healthy

it depends on your muscle mass if you are 20 lbs over weight but you only have 8% body fat u are probably pretty healthy