Abusoru asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

What if MLB put a baseball team in...?

San Juan, Puerto Rico. Remember that a couple years ago the Montreal Expos (now the Washington Nationals) split games between Montreal and San Juan. A lot of Puerto Ricans attended the games. Do you think a team could work there? What would they be called? Would they be expansion or a relocated team?

I do think that Puerto Rico and Mexico would be good markets. But the Dominican Republic probably wouldn't work because it is such a poor country.

Age of the population shouldn't matter. Look at Florida. A large amount of people there are old as well and they have two baseball teams.

Favorite Answer

For whatever reason, there has been reluctance to locate a team in a Latin country or region (P.R.). Instead, MLB put a team in Quebec, and we all know how well that turned out.

A team in P.R. would only be limited by the travel considerations. Imagine the road trips for teams from the West Coast. Another consideration would be the economy. Could the local economy sustain the franchise? What would putting a MLB franchise there do to the local leagues?

If these problems could be worked out, I'd welcome the franchise. A team in Mexico is another consideration, one with much the same concerns about a team in PR. PR is a commonwealth of the US, so I think it should get first consideration.

As much as the DR has sent a boatload of players to the US, I'm just not inclined to consider it ahead of either PR or Mexico.

Is there a team that's hurting so badly that it needs to move? Does PR want someone else's failure?

As for a team name, how about the Boricuas?

That was 2002, and 2003 when they played select games in San Juan, Puerto Rico, btu I can't say for sure if his town will get thier own baseball team evantally. It could happen, and it won't happen, but then there is no promise how attendance will do, if they are given a baseball team, no matter if it is an expansion team, or a team moves there, but maybe the Chicago Cubs should move otu of Chicago, and then Chicago fans will have to either root for the Chicago White Sox, or cheer for a team that is currently one of the Chicago Cubs' rivals.

I hope that this would happen. As a former sportswriter, I've been lobbying AOL Sports to continue with their 2002 push to get signatures for an expansion team in Mexico as well. I wouldn't venture a guess as to what they'd be called, however. Such a move would be great for the game and may pull some heat away from the steroids controversy.

The players union would never allow this to happen. No player wants to have to fly back and forth between Puerto Rico every time they have a home stand.

I have my doubts, but I think that if a new stadium doesn't happen for the Marlins in Miami that this would be a viable option. I don't think we'll see any more expansion teams for a while because 30 is a good number of teams.

It would be worth a look if they wanted to relocate a team, but expantion should be out of the question. Maybe put the D-Ray in PR.

I went to San Juan on vacation last year, and let me tell you... no team would last there. Alot of the local citizens are elderly, and most of the people there are vacationers. Most people are there to spend time on the beach, not watch a baseball game

I don't know what the team would be called but they should put more teams in the latin countries. They have a huge fan base and the games would be exciting there.

What about the Domincan Republic? They have some of the best talents now and for the future. There baseball is a religion.

I don't think it would be very profitable, but the fan base would be extremely loyal. I mean, they showed up in droves to see the EXPOS. That's pure love of the game right there.