mda asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 1 decade ago

Natural remedies for a sinus infection?

I have been to the doctor and they gave me a spray starts with an F can't remember the name, but it doesn't seem to be working and the sinus infection feels to be getting worse. This has been lingering for a while and I am so tired of it. Is the antibiotic necessary or is there some kind of natural remedy for it. I would like to get rid of this by the end of the week.

Favorite Answer

Things I would use (in no particular order) - but there are many more options hopefully others will share:

Neti pot

Saline nasal spray - 1/4 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 8 oz warm water.

You can add 10 drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract to the nasal spray. It will definitely make the taste worse, but GSE is a natural antibacterial, antifungal, and will help. You could even gargle and swallow some GSE diluted 10 drops to 6 oz of water. It will address the infection if it is spread to the throat and help address the sinuses still too.

Mullein - get fresh mullein or tea bags. Put in a pot with water and boil for a few minutes. Shut the heat source off and breathe in the steam.

Drink warm liquids - this will help to 'melt' and clear the blockage.

Place a warm, moist compress (a towel would do) on your face, again to help clear blockage.

There is a method to flush your sinus' with a saline solution - you can try it if you're brave... I couldn't stand the thought of it so I can't 100% recommend it (although from what I've read it's very effective)

The problem with any type of spray: The sinus cavity is infected and full of mucus and puss - a spray cannot penetrate the layer of mucus, therefore achieves no result at all.

A sinus sufferer, myself, I have resorted to green tea, plain water, fresh squeezed fruit juices, freshly-made vegetable juices and absolutely no cow's milk whatever.

Do not eat or drink anything prepared with it. It produes mucus like wildfire. If you must have milk with cereal, use soya milk - there are some really lovely flavors but the best is vanilla.

Juice fresh cucumbers with the skin on and you will have a mucus-flusher. It will pull it out of your system. You won't believe what is stored up in your colon until you have a cucumber juice fast.

Mucus and yeast products cause the sinus problems and they also contribute strongly to cancer in the body. Work on it quickly.

-Put a warm, moist washcloth over face for 5 to 10 minutes several times a day to relieve pain.

-Make a mild saline solution by dissolving 1/2 teaspoon salt into 1/2 cup lukewarm water. Instill 3 to 4 drops of the solution into each nostril with a dropper 6 times a day to help loosen mucus in the nasal passages.

-Get plenty of rest. Sleep with your head raised.

-Mix 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon with enough water to make a paste, and apply paste on head to relieve sinus headache.

For more details see below source:

natural remedies sinus infection

I have heard of using a preperation of tea tree oil and water and flushing your sinuses out with that, but I'm not sure of the actual procedure. google tea tree oil and sinuses. Tea Tree oil is a natural antibiotic. And the medication you are taking now is flonase and it is usually pretty good. It is the only thing that works for me, but it isn't really for infection. Its for inflamed and swollen sinuses. Did he also put you on antibiotics?

Try a neti pot. They are great for sinus ailments of all kinds. You can use them every day all year long. They are great for allergy sufferers also. I know it seems gross, but it really isn't and it doesn't hurt or make you feel like you inhaled water or anything. I love it. Oprah mentioned it on her show and she loves it too.

Go to your local drugstore and purchase Mucinex. It's an over the counter medicine that breaks up all that mucus in your eye and nasal cavities. It will also break up any mucus that has gotten in your chest.

Source(s): Sinus Infections get me all the time and nothing kicks its as.s like Mucinex. They also offer Mucinex D, which has a decongestant in it too. Make sure it's safe to take with the spray the doc prescribed to you.

boil half pint of water and add half a teaspoon of cider vinegar and a half teaspoon of seasalt allow to cool and gargle three or four times a day.