Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsGames & GearPlayStation · 1 decade ago

Advice about the Playstation 3?

I really need some advice about the Playstation 3. I have not played any video games since the Playstation 1 so I am really out of the loop. I have thought about buying the Playstation 3. I just have no idea of what it can do or anything. Can anyone tell help me out here? Thanks

Best Answer

I think you should get a ps3 because....

They support Blu Ray (Blu Ray just made a BIG leap in their war with HD-DVD...) Oh and here are some other reasons....

*Reliability- The PS3 has a .2% defect rate

*Cell Processor- The cell processor in a PS3 is an extremely powerful micro processor built of 8 processors (SPE's) and one PPE. This processor is built for extreme amounts of processing and is very useful for multi tasking through artificial intelligence, physics, lighting navigation, etc-

*RSX GPU- The PS3's RSX is a powerful GPU which is specialized to work with the cell processor to render DX10 like graphics by pooling it's RAM.-

*Blu Ray- PS3 has the next generation disc medium which can store up to 50GB (100GB in experimental models) The extra space allows game developers to make large responsive environments, complex artificial intelegance, HD video and audio, etc. without compression.

*Other operating systems- The ps3 can get different operating systems installed, such as Linux, allowing it to be an alternative computer, and you can install many diferent programs.-

*Web browser- The ps3 has a decent web browser, which you can go to many different web sites with, it does have basic flash updates, but it does need to be improved upon, including in java, though this can be fixed easily via a firmware upgrade. Many popular sites like myspace and youtube are accessable though.-

*Folding@home- With this program which can be downloaded to any PS3 easily, you can use your PS3's extra processing power while you're not using it for Cancer research by folding and analyzing proteins.

*The PS3 has a Interchangeable hard drive- This pretty much means you can change the size of your hard drive with any hard drive so you can store more things

*PS3 Has Built in wifi- Wifi lets you connect to the internet wirelessly- this comes standard in the PS3.

*PS3 Has Free Online

*Playstation Home- Playstation home is an interactive community of ps3 users where you can play games or meet up with friends and hang out at your virtual home and hang outs, as well as stream live media(releasing in early 08 and is FREE)

* PS3 Games- For now good games include; Heavenly Sword, Resistance Fall of Man, Rainbow Six Vegas, Folklore, warhawk, lair, Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Call of Duty 4 Uncharted:Drakes Fortune, Motorstorm, Eye of Judgment etc. Good upcoming games are Haze, LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid 4, Yakuza 3, White Knight Story, Final Fantasy XIII, Metal Gear online, Heavy Rain, God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Afrika, Time Crisis 4, Tekken 6, Socom: Confrontation, L.A. Noire, Motorstorm 2, InFamous, Killzone 2, Kurayami, Way of the Samurai 3, etc. Over 300 games will be released by spring.

Hope I Helped

• Greg D

They are very nice. I have the 60gb model that supports playing all of the old ps1 and ps2 games also, it has been discontinued (Has hardware support, this is why I bought it instead of the 80gb model). The 80gb model is suppose to be able to do this too with software emulation but not the 40gb model per the link I have provided below.

I am a big final fantasy and such fan and this is where all of the future main RPG games will be going since most are on the PS2 and PS1. Shooters are started to come to this console too like Ghost Recon II which is my current favorite game to play online in multiplayer. Oh and online play is free on the PS3 while the Xbox 360, which I have one too, is pay only.

Hope this helps...

Source(s): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3 Creator/Retired owner The RPG Realm http://www.rpgrealm.com

The PlayStation 3 has now become a multimedia machine, with the ability to not only play games, but also high definition movies, online/downloadable gaming, picture achive and an internet browser.

Not only will you see an improvement from the graphics from the PSone days, you'll also find that the controls - while retaining its old design, has improved with the added tilt features.

Its main improvement is the high definition. Unlike the PSone where if you displayed it on a large TV, the graphics look all blocky and expanded, the PS3 will retain its details and definition without compromising the picture.

Below is a comparison of the final fantasy games between PS1 and PS3:

PS1 graphics (Final Fantasy 7)

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/1...

PS3 graphics (Final Fantasy 13)

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/upload...

I would advice you to buy Uncharted 2 : Among Thieves or KillZone 2 because both the games have excellent story mode especially Uncharted and both also have awesome online play. Uncharted 2 got full ratings across internet and 12 websites gave that game 5 star rating. you can contact me on PSN my id is r2wadhwani

I wouldn't get the PS3, get xbox 360 or WII, but base your decision on the games you like, all the people I know have Wii's or 360's, and 360 and Wii also connect to the Internet- i don't no if PS3 connects.

Making a Live Account can be annoying, but its worth it, you can chat, have friends, and most importantly play online for free- if you don't get the gold trial, I don't really think the gold is worth it but some other people say It is, depends on what you like.

Hey there,

Check here http://bitly.com/1uSGkPx if you want to get for free: Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is one of the two parts in which Metal Gear Solid V is divided.

it got a blu ray drive

the most advance in technology

amazing graphics and games

a hard drive(20,40,60,80gb)

blutooth

USB ports

it won't break after a day like the xbox 360

free network play

you can help find a cure for cancer by using folding@home in the ps3

Source(s): if you don't know what is folding@home is searh wikipedia.org

It is good but has no good games at the moment. i'd opt for the xbox 360 Elite which has cheaper and more exclusive games. you can now go online and download hd films,tv and games via xbox live as well as play many of your games online too using the microphone provided. Also has MSN. Graphics the same as PS3.

• Jon

the ps3 is biult for H-D and plays ps1,ps3,ps3,cd,dvd,and the new blu-ray disc.NOTE: the 40gb and 50gb do not play ps1 and ps2 games.only the 60gb and 80gb will.new games are coming this spring including gta4 and turok.also you can hook up to the internet and hook up your psp to the ps3.

theres wireless controllers and wired,its a pretty good deal!

Look on t'internet....

Then GO BUY ONE!

They're awesome and can do everything! Ha Ha...

Get one!