How safe is it to blend regular food for babies? (no added salt or any other seasoning of course.) plain food.

My son doesnt like baby food and he is a picky eater. So my family told me to put regular food in a blender and feed it to him. He eats really well now, but i never did that with my first two. Its just plain food. Actually just veggies and a lil pasta right now. Hes going on 6 months so i think the veggies are good for now. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Plus, I'm running out of things to feed him. Thank you in advance!!!!

Rae

Best Answer

I did this from when my son was 4 months until he was about 9 months. Its better for them (my opinion) and much cheaper! There are AWESOME recipes on the internet for baby food. Just google baby food. If you make too much put the food in your ice tray and pop it into the freezer. After they are frozen bag the cubes up and save it for later!

things i used

sweet potatoes, carrots, (combine those, its good), potatoes, squash, zuccini, apples, pears, mangos, basically anything you want!!

Yes, it is safe to feed your baby table food! I always feed my daughter homemade food. The jar stuff is really disgusting!

I have a food mill that my mom passed down to me. Here are some examples of them:

http://www.amazon.com/KidCo-Baby-Steps-Food-Carryi...

http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-13701-Baby-Food-Gri...

The mills are hand operated and leave the food with more texture than a food processor. Plus they are smaller and much quicker to clean.

I also mash some foods just with a fork.

My daughter really loves sweet potato and butternut squash. I will normally buy a squash and bake it all one night, mash it and store it. I like to buy a bag of pre-peeled and cut sweet potatoes from Costco and I just steam a little for dinner that night and mash it. I also bake the sweet potato sticks and give them as a finger food. I usually add a green veggie to the orange ones, like peas or beans. As the baby gets older you can add diced meat and diced whole wheat pasta into the veggies. My daughter is 10 months old now and has tried tons of fruit and veggies as well as many meats, grains and cheeses. It can be really fun coming up with new meal ideas for them! Also, salt and pepper is not recommended, but many other spices are fine for baby! My baby really likes oregano on her chicken, dill on her salmon and cinnamon in her applesauce!

This site can give you some good ideas:

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

WHAT!? She's crazy. I wouldn't add any salt or sugar. I also make my own baby food and my hubby's aunt suggested I add sugar too. I just looked at her like Ummm NO! If they don't like something I just add something they do like to it... like sweet potatoes or apples. Lets not have a baby eating unhealthy already! lol It may taste better in her opinion but it definitely is NOT better for her. Sugar and salt is not healthy for an adult, let alone a baby.

At 6 months you should stick with fruits and veggies for awhile. I make my sons food all the time and yes you can blend/mash it.

You can give him carrot, potato, sweet potato, pumpkin, peas, broccoli, apples, pears, banana, avocado. You can combine flavors like carrot and potato or apples and pears.

I suggest buying a book on making your own baby food, i love mine.

We had a mini food processor that we used to make baby food with. After they start eating the home processed food, they don't go back to store bought. Absolutly no problems and there no end to the healthy choices you have.

I never even thought about doing that....wow and it really would be so much cheaper and just as healthy for them especially if you're not adding salt or seasoning. thanks for that great idea...i will def. keep that in mind when my little one is ready for food

I STARTED FEEDING MY SON VEGGIES OUT OF A JAR AT THAT AGE AND HE LOVED IN... I JUST USED TO SMASH THEM ALL DOWN MYSELF... I USED TO GIVE HIM LIKE CARROTS AND APPLESAUCE, GREEN BEANS AND PEAS... ALSO I WOULD FEED HIM CANNED RAVIOLI AND SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALLS SMASHED WHEN I STARTED TO GIVE HIM MEAT... FEED HIM WHAT YOU FEEL IS RIGHT FOR HIM....