Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Nicest baseball player you ever met?

I met many players when i sold cards and collected autographs.

The nicest were: Rizzuto, Berra, George Brett, Pete Rose, Steve Garvey, Juan Gonzalez, Wade Boggs, Minnie Minoso, Jose Canseco, Ron Swoboda, Ed Kranepool and Hank Aaron.

Favorite Answer

Jeff Francoeur...Hes the nicest guy in the world! He's such a good Christian and very good looking too! Great baseball player as well...if he really knew me and if he wasnt married, i could DEF. spent the rest of my life w/him! lol

• Penny

I met Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams, Tino Martinez, Jorge Posada, Gary Sheffield, Tony Womack at a Toronto restaurant after a game a couple years ago. Tino and Bernie were there first and they sat at the bar right next to me for a few minutes. They were very nice, but I don't have an autograph or anything because I didn't want to bug them on their own time. It was weird, all the Canadian people just ignored them -- I guess they were looking to meet some hockey players! Anyway, I hated it when the hostess told my party that our table was ready. Met Ryan Klesko, Lenny Dykstra, Tom Seaver a long time ago at Spring Training in the days when you could wander around the practice field. Shook Ken Singleton's hand as he walked into the AAA ballpark in Syracuse to watch his son play. Bob Wickman handed a ball to my daughter before a game at Yankee Stadium in 05. (He was an Indian at the time.) Some others -- can't think of them right now.

I am going to go with the opposite and say Wade Boggs is the only baseball player I met (While with Boston) as a kid and didn't give me his autograph (despite having a card of him in front of me). His response was " I get that all the time, I am not Wade Boggs). We were staying in the Red Sox hotel while they were in Toronto.

Edit: Honestly, I didn't even read through your "nicest" until after I answered, but Boggs was just plain brushed me off.

Well, I am surprised nobody has mentioned Pat Neshek yet. Pat is an autograph collector and as a kid, knows the feeling when a baseball player doesn't sign your card. Well, go to a Twins game and he'll keep signing until there is nobody left or he has to go. Not only that, but he'll sign after games so everybody can get an autograph. He loves the fans! He has a website and he says that if you send him anything in the mail, he will sign it, provided you have also sent an SASE!

Here is his site:

http://eteamz.active.com/patneshek/index.cfm?

Barry Bonds: Met him various times when I worked at EA Sports. He had a relative working there as well and when he arrived on campus, he was cordial, friendly, took the time to chat, sign autographs (even if it was against company policy), shake hands and never acted like everyone was beneath him.

He's a very genuine person and I can't fault him for acting the way he does in public with everyone telling lies and making stories about him when they don't even know him. He just wants to protect himself and acting abrasively is the way he does it.

Well I've only met a few but the nicest I've met is Morgan Ensberg. He signs most everybody an autograph and contributed a lot to the disabled when he was in Houston.

The nicest guy I've met is Nomar Garciaparra. Met him two years ago when he was rehabing for the Dodgers. I brought my Nomar jersey and he signed it, To Kyle, All my best, Nomar Garciaparra. My neighbor and I talked to him for 5 minutes. He took a picture with us. I still have that picture framed in my room. This guy has been my hero since I was 10.

The nicest player that I have ever met was Pete O'Brien, 1st baseman for the Texas Rangers along time ago. My dad had taken me to a agme and we was down by the field when he was taking batting practice and he had broke a bat during BP and after he was done he brought the bat to me, signed it and talked to me and my dad for about 20 minutes.

• ?

Glad to see there's another Angle fan here! Anyway, I know someone who sat by the dugout of the team David Eckstein was currently playing on, and he said Eckstein tried so hard to pump up the team, maybe because they were losing, but he was just crazy, yelling and encouraging them.

Not a baseball player... But I saw something cool with Marty Brennaman once...

A guy showed up at the team bus and Brennaman went over and talked to him and the guy was like "Damn! I don't have a baseball to get signed"

Marty took a ball from his pocket, signed it and handed it to the guy... Marty's a classy guy.