Kaj L asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 decade ago

I'm 15 i want to eventually become an international pilot flying Boeing 747, etc.?

I have been looking online and asking around, trying to find out how to get started and work my way up to the pilot level, which would be a dream job. Any advice here??

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

This question is asked many times a day around here. I'll give you a quick summary, but search the questions and you'll get a lot more answers.

The biggest thing you have to do is love to fly. An international route on a 747 will come with at least 20 years of experience in the industry. If you don't enjoy the journey, you will never make it to that point.

For flying a large international plane like that, a 4 year college degree is a must. It doesn't matter what the degree is in. Business, management, physics, meteorology, and aviation are all fine choices.

For flight training, the basic options are through a local airport, through an aviation program in a university, or through the military.

Military flight training is the least expensive, but you still need a college degree to be commissioned as an officer in the flight training program. Enrolling in an ROTC program will help.

The other options will cost at least $50,000 (not counting college tuition). Be ready for many years of time building and low paying jobs.

Again, you must love to fly whatever you happen to be flying for your journey to a 747 to be successful. If you won't be happy in a Cessna, a King Air, or a regional jet, this probably isn't the career path for you. If that does sound appealing, start with an introductory flight at a local airport. You'll know if you're hooked or not!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Well if you dont mind being in the air force for 10 years and flying with them that is the best way to do it. Because once you are done with them you get to go right to the majors. If you dont want the military life than.

Start flying lessons abour 2months before your 16 birthday. Than when you turn 16 you will be able to solo and at 17 you can try to get your Private Pilot license than you just take it one step at a time. Do well in school get a 4 year college degree, stay out of trouble with the law and keep in good physical and mental health and everything should work out fine.

• 1 decade ago

I heard that a lot of commercial pilots started flying in the military and then got jobs with commercial companies later after they got out. Next time you go to an airport to travel why not ask some of the pilots, I'm sure they will be more than happy to tell you how they got started.

• 1 decade ago

Many airlines will hire ex-military who flew planes, so that may be a good place to check out. Just remember that any branch of the military will place you in an area THEY feel is most needed at the moment -- which may or may not be as a pilot....

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

go to google and search for the degrees you have to have. thats what i did! (orthopedic surgeons have to have like a billions degrees!)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.