Can a person ever really heal from being a Jehovah's Witness?

Having been raised a JW, I thought at times it was the answer to all problems. Other times common sense took over because a child shouldn't have to sit through hours of indoctrination several times a week. If it were a musical instrument or something fruitful, like how to correctly raise a family; then, I wouldn't have to be a security guard or divorced now.

After formally leaving, I joined the military and am now in the Army Reserves. But was that enough for me to recover from being exposed to the self-righteous community claiming to be the only ones allowed into heaven? Does it matter that I've successfully battled depression? Will I ever be able to heal the wounds of the little boy and young man who endured "outsider" status?

Still, I ask, when will the rest of them wake up? Tomorrow I will begin infiltrating a local congregation and hope to make little changes in at least one person. Will my efforts pay off?

Is it normal to want to rescue them, to help them begin healing?

Favorite Answer

After being out of the Witnesses for over 25 years...18 of them deprogramming, I am not convinced that you can completely heal God has brought me very far though....My experience was more convoluted in that I was enduring Sexual abuse while being brought up as a witness.

Infiltration the Kingdom Hall to help some out, would be a difficult task for me..I am not that good of an actress...That is up to God anyway.

Worry about the damage to the mind and soul...That is why we all come here...to effect change....To help ones who can not see to see ...To share our experience strength and hope.

AND to warn people of what they are getting themselves into.

I hope you go to my sisters congregation and talk some sense into her!

As a person coming from a very religious, closed society and now not participating in that, I'd say it's normal to have a hard time breaking away from something you were raised in and wholly believed in at one time. To answer your first question, Yes, it is possible to heal, but don't expect that your JW up-bringing won't influence you and pop up in other parts of your life.

Know now that your life is different. You are a good person. You're not an outsider unless you make yourself one. That's something I've had to come to realize too. Getting over depression means you're strong -- your mind is powerful. Put that power to good use in other ways. Those ways could be trying to save people by infiltrating the congregation, but to me that seems futile. Once found out, they'll use you as an example of the way the devil creeps up on you when you least expect it (or something of the like), and your efforts will be in vain. Instead, do some thing more indirect that's helpful like coaching a child's sports team or some other activity where you'll have contact with young people who are having the same JW experience as you had.

But be sure not to force your views on someone who's not ready for them. People are entitled to believe what they want. Being a too strong opposition will only scare them away.

• NMB

Heal? Why would one need to heal?

"a child shouldn't have to sit through hours of indoctrination several times a week"

Hmm, doesn't the state do that? I mean five days a week, seven hours a day attending school could be considered "indoctrination" as well.

I'm curious, didn't you pay attention while you were attending the meetings of Jehovah's Witnesses? How else could you make this statement, "something fruitful, like how to correctly raise a family; then, I wouldn't have to be a security guard or divorced now"

Biblical information on family life and how to handle problems that will arise has been a CONSTANT topic at those meetings.

I don't understand exactly how being raised as one of Jehovah's Witnesses would lead you to become a security guard.And for that matter what's wrong with being a security guard anyway?

Well, not being a JW- I have a limited insight. Certainly my experiences of them has led me to be very cautious about this cult.

They are very insular and do not have the same "open door policy" as say the Anglicans the Methodists or other off-shoots of Christianity. They use very flawed arguments and spurious logic to try and get their point across and they are *incredibly* homophobic.

If you think that your depression has been cause by your JW upbringing then I think you need to see a counsellor about it. I personally thing the worst thing you can do is go back to them, even if it's under false pretences. Anyway- didn't I hear somewhere that once you have left the JW's they won't let you back in?

Source(s): Agnostic

Remember the story of Lot? He had a wife and two daughters. After a series of events God basically tells them to high tail it out of there. God says Don't Look Back.

So what does the wife do? She looks back.

Sometimes there are things in our life, people, places and events that the only option is just to let God do the work. Our job is to walk away and let Him do the work only he can do.

Yes, it's normal to want to rescue **them**.

However, it sounds like you need to get a handle on where you are at right now and where you are headed before you try to help someone else.

Good luck.

But I am not sure that infiltrating the local group will help much.

Everyone reacts to their upbringing differently. Your reaction to JWs may not be typical of the individuals in the congregation you infiltrate. Maybe they relish the outsider status. Maybe that is what revs their engine, and if you successfully take that away, they will battle depression.

It may be that you would feel better to engage in a positive activity, like volunteer some place--not necessarily for the poor. Volunteer at your public library or beautify something like a garden or building. Something positive.

I was raised a Seventh-day Adventist. It did not warp me too much (or did it??).

My advice to you; "Heal yourself first." How do you think you can save someone else if your mind and spirit is not functioning properly? The blind cannot lead the blind. You are filled with sadness and animosity. That kinds of feelings will be dangerous to an innocent one that is truly seeking Jesus. Remember the scripture of leading an innocent child away from YHVH God. Better to tie a millstone around your neck and throw yourself in the sea. Focus on your total salvation. I don't think you are capable to lead another person. Give yourself time, look how long it took Unsilenced Lioness.

Complete healing can only be found in Jesus Christ.

Isaiah 53:5b--"the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."

Although we may never completely forget, we can come to a place where we can let go and let God. The battle is spiritual and it is His.

Also meditate on this verse:

Psalm 27:10--"When my father and mother forsake me, You, Lord, lift me up."

I also agree with Achtung. It is not a sin to get professional help just as you would if you needed a medical doctor. I believe that God has given the human race the wisdom and ability to help with the "practical needs" if necessary.

Brainwashing is a difficult condition to overcome. Only when JW's see the REAL Jesus as the true fully divine member of the Godhead, and accept Him as their only Saviour will they have a chance at seeing true Christianity. Sadlly they are so indoctrinated by having their OWN BIBLE that it is difficult to reach them. Ones faith should not rest on a particular translation--if the faith and beliefs are correct it should be abundently clear in ANY translation. Positions outside that are biased and not to be trusted. If only the New World Translation is a true rendering of the original text----how UNFAIR that make God?

As for your earlier question--only a close loving relationship with the REAL jesus will heal your little boy wounds

Wow. You seem to be all over the place now, in your attempts to find closure. The one thing that you leave out is where you are today as far as your relationship with God. I would strongly urge you not to "infiltrate" the KH without an accurate knowledge and understanding of the Scriptures. Furthermore, there are some very important things you need to understand about cult psychology (ie Stockholm Syndrome) before you will realize why what you will have to share will fall mostly upon deaf ears. You may want to check out a 4-part series of videos posted on You Tube involving recovery from spiritual abuse. All 4 parts can be accessed from this link:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Simon61161

There is an e-mail at the end to contact for more help.

Peace be with you. Feel free to be in contact.

Heal? That question implies, of course, that Witnesses of Jehovah are something from which one needs to heal. Were you ill then or are you ill now? I will leave that question and its answer to you.

Infiltrate? That is an interesting word. Perhaps your choice of it comes from the military background you now possess. Military people are quite interesting indeed. If you are convinced that all your difficulties can be traced to this group, then you also are convinced that you are well out of it. Why then go back?

For a rescue operation? Well, perhaps you ought to leave that to God. If He feels they ought to be rescued, he will handle it better than you could ever possibly hope to do. If, on the other hand, He feels they don't need to be rescued, you will perhaps find yourself fighting against God. That is a no-win situation. Compare, please, Acts 5:35-39. The learned man there speaking had a valid point; sufficiently so for God himself to have inspired it and included it in the Bible account. Perhaps you remember learning it when you were a Bible student.

Hannah J Paul