promotion image of download ymail app

General discharge under honorable condition...?

I separated Navy around two years ago with general discharge under honorable conditions. It was mental disorder (mental depression). Now I have a master's degree in Mechanical engineering (University of Maryland, College Park) and

I will have couple interviews, especially government related jobs, including Naval Surface Warfare Center, Army research center, etc.

Is this type of discharge really negative effect on getting these kinds of job?

In advance, any comment will be greatly appreciated.


I joined Navy because of financial difficulty and I really wanted to go to Dental school. My plan was to complete pre-requisite courses for dental school while serving in Navy. I studied really hard when I was in Navy's dental technician school and I awarded Academy Excellence something (I do not remember it correctly) when I graduated from technician school because instructors in that school told me I can choose my duty station if my grade is good. But my duty station was in Japan (Navy sent me there since I don't have any dependent) and some stupid sailors in that school who have dependents could stay here. Of course they couldn't choose their duty station, either. I realized my recruiter cheated me and I was accepted from graduate school because of 'early separation for further eduation', but it was rejected. That is why I was so depressed. That is my story.

Well, what can I do? I know 'Everything I did is my responsibility.'

4 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    This should not affect your job application, if they ask tell them it was a medical problem that no longer affects you.

    That is the truth, and you do not need to elaborate.

    Your medical record is private.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    I know 2 Marines that got kicked out of the Marine Corps for misconduct. Well, I know 2 well, seen a few others. But anyway, they appealed as soon as they seperated, but don't expect an answer that fast. Generally, with the right recommendations (like your old CO signing an approval of an upgrade) you can eventually upgrade your discharge 1 up, which for you is honorable I believe. You should still qualify for certain VA benifits but I couldn't specify which ones you can and can't receive yet. Remember, before submitting a package for an upgrade, hir a lawyer or someone who's experienced with it. Do some volunteer work for a few months, like 10 hours a week. It won't hurt and in the meantime don't do anything that could get you in more trouble!! Show them at the VA that you are an improved person, and a productive member of society today. Good luck

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Shan
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    If they actually look into your background, it could raise questions about your current mental stability. not sure what you could do to get that removed from your records, or to off set it with more current information. If it comes up, just be honest. That will go further and anything else.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    It all depends on the narrative reason for your discharge and your seperation code, both are located on your DD-214 - and what was your RE code?

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.