Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 1 decade ago

What can you make bad tasting wine taste good with,other than another kind of alcohol?

What can you make bad tasting wine taste good with,other than another kind of alcohol? What non alcoholic thing can you add to make crappy wine better?

Favorite Answer

soda water

fruit juice

sparkling water

i dunno try anything lol

In midevil times wine couls spoil even though it was bottled because it was not pastuerized or preserved well. To make the wine drinkable again it was mulled or cooked into "grog" depending on what country you were in. I make it every year for the holidays, and while traditionally you drink it warm, you can drink it at room temperature or chilled. It is also normally made with red wine, but you can make it with white as well and serve it chilled like a white sangria.

Add 1 bottle red wine to a large pot and bring to a simmer - DO NOT BOIL!

When the wine is at a simmer (it will be steaming from the surface) add 1/2 cup sugar and stir until dissolved. At this point take a taste to see if its sweet enough for you.

After the wine is adequately sweetened add 1 sliced navel orange, 4 cinnamon sticks, and a 1/4 cup mixed whole cloves, star anise, and allspice.

You can also add whole nutmegs or black peppercorns depending on taste. Normally when I add peppercorns I also add about a 1/4 cup of honey for balance.

You can double, triple, quadruple this recipe and make it with pretty much anything. I buy whatever is cheapest. Enjoy.

So I just recently bought this really cheap concord wine from my local grocery store. Its actually not that bad, but I do not like when I can taste the alcohol or when wine is too bitter. So here is what I do:

1. Not everyone likes this but I place my wine in the freezer for like an hour, before drinking. (may sound obvious I know...but sadly not everyone does this)

2. Before filling my glass with wine I rinse the glass with water, then place the wine glass in the freezer and let it chill for approximately a minute. Then I take it out and let the outside of the glass fog before I place wine into it.

3. Finally, I place lemonade in with the wine (Sunny D Lemonade). Now I have not tried every wine /fruit juice mix in the world.. but this one definitely works for me. The lemonade helps to drown out the bad taste and it also helps to drown out the bad taste if you pick out a wine that taste too syrupy like the concord grape wine I had.

Hope this helps!!!

Source(s): Old Bartender/ Wine Drinker

You can make a sangria!

Use sliced oranges, lemons, and limes, then mash them just a little in the bottom of a pitcher to bring out the juice. Add about 1/2 cup of sugar, bottle of wine, and some club soda if you would like but not necessary. This works best with red, but can use white too.

Very tasty! Enjoy!

Try using it as a cooking wine in a red meat sauce with pasta

I've used Sprite or Ginger Ale, depending on the flavor of the wine. If it's really bitter the sprite helps balance it with its sweetness.

When I have disappointing white wine, I make spritzers with a fruit flavored seltzer plus a wedge of lemon or orange (or both).

Buy a new bottle of wine. Most likely an older and more expensive bottle.

Is it old? Is it homemade? Could it have turned to vinegar? Is it tainted with another yeast? If you made it and whole batch is bad...

Nothing. =+(

If it is just tasteless, insipid, made a blend of juices as in a sangria, add some ginger alefor sparkle

I think that's correct

I was wondering much the same thing