do People in Italy speek Spanish?

>>>>

im thinking about taking a trip

with my family to europe and

im SUPER excited about italy

i speek some spanish and i wanted to know if italians speek it too.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • NVF
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

People in Italy mostly speak English, because Italy is mostly a tourist country, the majority also speak Italian, you may find people who speak Spanish from Spain, but not many.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Tai
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

People in Italy primarily speak Italian, which is similar to Spanish. In a conversation between the two, both can be somewhat understood (although not as well as between Spanish and Portuguese). All of the people in the countries of the European Union are encouraged to learn two or more European languages, and most do. So it's a pretty safe bet to assume that a lot of Italians learn Spanish as it is an important language and not very difficult for them to learn. (I know for a fact that a lot of Spanish people learn Italian, so why not the other way around?). Also, seeing as how Italy is a highly visited tourist country, it's a safe bet that many people there speak English as well (probably even more than those who speak Spanish). Hope this helped, and good luck on your trip!

• DT3238
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

If your spanish is good, you can usually have basic conversations with Italians by using the spanish and listening closely. I speak Italian, and find spanish about 70% intelligible. Italians mostly study either English or French in school. In tourist cities English is widespread, but not in smaller towns.

Italians are warm, friendly people. Learn a little bit of basic Italian and they will really warm up to you. If you already speak Spanish, Italian is easy. Spelling is phonetic and there are no really hard to pronounce sounds.

• andrew
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Spanish is nowhere near as popular in Italy as it is in the United States. But as others have mentioned, you may be able to get by if you learn Italian pronunciation and use Spanish words. For example, "cena" (dinner) is the same in both Italian and Spanish; however, the pronunciations are different: in Spanish it would sound like "say-nah," whereas in Italian it would sound like "cheh-nah"

However, you are more likely to encounter an Italian who speaks English or French rather than Spanish.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Do People in Spain speek Italian?

• 1 decade ago

no, the most people speak English and in north Italy the people also speak German.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Some do, of course. But most can get by in English.

• 1 decade ago

hey.

italians do not speak spanish but they may understand a little bit of spanish because italian is somewhat french and spanish combined together.

some words are spanish some are french...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, but the languages are very similar.

• 1 decade ago

people in italy... they speak italian.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.