What's the big deal over the Confederate Flag?

It flew for five years from 1860-65. What flag flew over the southern (slave states) during the previous 80 some odd years? That's right Old Glory and I don't see people wanting to get rid of her. I wish people would gain a brain sometimes. Words and symbols mean so much to so many of us supposedly intelligent primates, don't they?

I guess ya'll are not getting it so, I'll give you a history lesson. Slavery existed in this country before it was a country. From shortly after the time this nation was created it has flown the Stars and Stripes, even over the Southern SLAVE States before the Civil War. Why then is the Flag of The United States equally reviled since it flew longer and stronger over the Southern Slave States than the Confederate flag ever did, nearly 80 years I believe?

I meant "why is it not equally reviled"? The Stars and Stripes that is.

Proud Alabama Gun Owner. Why fly any flag? Do you think that the Native Americans love seeing Old Glory waiving down at their local U.S. Post Office? Do you not think that it is a painful reminder of the American Holocaust that their forefather's had to endure.

According to She Must Be Obeyed, if you lose the war you and your posterity lose the right to retain your symbols. Well not in this "land of the free". I have a symbol tattooed on my body that would offend 99.9% of the people in America. But I still have the right to have it permenently inked into my derma. I will fight for freedom of expression until my dying day. If a person doesn't like what they see, they can look the other way and mind their own stinking business!!!!

George W, thanks for the thorough and in my opinion correct answer.

Favorite Answer

Here's the deal, Stevi. Slavery was just the excuse for the South to secede from the Union, but it had been thought about for sometime by several Southern states. The South often felt that the Northern states got preferential treatment because they mostly compromised the original colonies. The Continential Congress set the tone early on, which the Southern states found difficult to change.

Breaking away from the Union into their own country was appealing to many. They could finally setup the government the way they wanted to, by their rules. They could trade with who they wanted. They didn't have to restrict their language to only English. They could conduct business on their terms.

Of course, the Union wasn't going to allow this, and the Southern States only realized their sovernity for a brief period. However many Southerns wished the Conferedacy could have been permanent & they realized their dream.

The Confederate flag is a symbol for many that "The South can rise again" and become it's own country. However, since slavery was the given reason for the South breaking away, the flag has also become an involuntary symbol for slavery.

Think of it this way. The Confederate flag has its place in history, just like your middle finger has its place on your hand. The C flag belongs in museums and on the graves of Confederate soldiers, and perhaps in other places where it is historically significant. Your middle finger belongs on your hand, and it is useful in just about everything you do with your hands.

Now some people display the Confederate flag prominently in their front yards even though they are not Confederate soldiers, we do not live in the Confederate nation, and they know that it is also a symbol used by many hate groups. Some people display their middle fingers in the same way, as a symbol of hate and insult.

In other words, both the Confederate flag and your middle finger have their purposes. It all depends on the use that you put them to. Those of you who say that it's a symbol of southern pride are a very small group considered rather backward by most of us in the former capital of the Confederacy. By the way, southern pride people, do you know where the capital of the Confederacy was? If not, take down your flags.

I'm not quite sure I understand the question..

But the confederate flag is a sign of hatred/racism to many.. To others, it's a symbol for the south..

My opinion..... The north won.. Get over it.. We are all the same America.. That flag is retarded and has no real point other than to spread hatred.. Get rid of it and put up the "real" American flag...

Since Ron Paul believes so much in the Constitution he probably flies one at his home. Sure seems like a nice guy.

Then use your ideals to fly it. If it doesnt mean what it does to the people who flew it during slavery, then fly it and make sure you can relate what it symbolizes to you because it seems to represent slavery and the losing side of the civil war which consisted of people who thought black folk were inventory.

I believe that the confederate flag is about PRIDE, not Prejudice. (southern pride) Not everyone who flys the stars and bars is racist.

We're just hill billies, who more than likely have a black relative or friend, just like everyone else.

Honestly i think its people wanting to get publicity. I mean its 2008 i think the people we have are racist against Mexicans not blacks....this war was fought years and years and years ago and still people live in poverty......if my father who had a 6th grade education was able to start his own business and all his sons were able to join the military then why cant all the "babies" crying about Katrina join. the only reason there cryin is because we wont give them something for nothing......OK call me racist i don't care,.....but I'm not paying taxes so some slouch who wants to cry to F.E.M.A. about his house.....(YOU BUILT IT IN A FLOOD PLAIN GENIUS) but no one sees that all the see is the "reverse discrimination" going on........but no one sees that i mean its just a Mexican trying to get an education...but that doesn't matter...all that matters is a black person who doest give an F is included (thank you no child left behind.......I'm so glad my tax dollars are going to pay for illegals.

Source(s): Sgt USMC and I hate all the babies crying about racist marines

My understanding is that the flag was already removed from atop the capital building. So I'm not sure I get it either.

people fuss over the confederate flag because it was used down south and down south they still wanted they're slaves so to many people it will be very offensive

Well legally, I can trot around waving swastikas in people's face but does that mean it's ethical? Bars and Stars belongs in a museum, not on truck bumpers.