Daniel
Daniel asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

A theft-resistant bike lock?

I live in south China and the thieves here are ridiculous. In the three years I have lived here I have had three pedal bikes and four electric bikes stolen. Every one has been locked. The E-bikes even had alarm systems that stop the wheel from turning when they are set off. My question is this: can anyone recommend a bike lock that will at least slow these dudes down? I can't keep buying new bikes every four months and they really are my only transportation option.

Favorite Answer

Bike locks are really just for peice of mind. If a someone wants to steal your bike they will. My advice if you can't keep the bike with you is to use as many locks as possible. Maybe like 4 U-locks and then some cables. The longer it takes to steal a bike the less likley they are to try. Or maybe you should just by a bike and make it look really beat-up do no one will want to take it.

Good Luck.

• McG

No.

The only way that you can be sure it isn't being taken is to have it under you, riding. Come to think of it, that may not stop some bold abducting thieves.

I would find a way to have the bike where ever I went, and/or keep it inside.

Depending on the cost of the bikes you are buying, perhaps hiring a body guard for you bikes is the solution. ;)

Well to be honest there isnt. Even if you were to have a theft resistant lock they will still take your parts and leave the frame thats what they do in my old neighborhood. The only way you can stop this is to leave your bikes indoors.